quicklook something wrong or don't I get it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I have been playing around with Leopard, and so far seems fine. New to mac, so only have a few weeks of tiger to compare. I was trying to see how quick look works. I opened finder, clicked on pictures, pressed space. The window which pops up simply shows the generic photo icon, not a preview of my photos. Also the instructions mention something about a quick look icon on the finder menu bar (an eye), I don't have that, and don't see anywhere to enable.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
#1. Quick Look is not going to work the way you have it in your picture. It works with pictures, movies, PowerPoint presentations, etc. But you have to give a specific something to look at. If you don't, it is just going to give you basic info on what you've selected... as is the case in your picture.
Ex:
Picture3.png

#2. The Quick Look icon you're talking about should look like this:
Picture2-1.png

It will be in your Finder Window, at the top, in your toolbar. If it's not there, have your Finder Window open and either right click on the Toolbar and say "Customize Toolbar..." or go up to View and say "Customize Toolbar..." From there, you can add the Quick Look icon.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. I was able to add the quick look icon, using the customize option.
Still not sure about how this is supposed to work. I did see it work with documents. But in iPhoto, if I click on the pictures folder, then the iPhoto library icon comes up. Activating quick look gives me the result shown above. If I click again, that opens the whole application, which is what I thought quick look was going to avoid?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
You cannot view your iPhoto library using Quick Look because of the way iPhoto sorts and archives your photo's. If you notice, when you double click on your iPhoto library it opens iPhoto up. This is probably an attempt by Apple to make it harder for users to go into the library and start deleting/modifying things which could potentially mess up their photo's.

Because you cannot physically get inside your iPhoto library any other way than through iPhoto, Quick Look will not be able to show you a preview of your photo's because it to cannot get inside the library to get to them.

Not to worry though, iPhoto is pretty snappy and shouldn't cause too much of a problem loading up etc to view your photo's.

Quick Look, on the other hand is great for quickly checking other files such as photo's(outside of your iPhoto library), Movies, word documents, Photoshop files, PDF's and so on..

Hope this helps some :Smirk:

Chris

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Chris. Now I get it. I just assumed when the description mentioned viewing photos, it also meant iPhoto.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.