Why use Firefox or Camino instead of Safari?

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
It just keeps bugging me.

I really don't know what's the point of using Firefox or Camino instead of Safari? I really don't see a difference except Safari is more lightweight and faster and integrates into Mac better.

Is there a point I'm missing here?

Thanks a lot in advance for the explanation! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.16ghz Core2Duo, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb WD Scorpio HDD, Westinghouse 22" external display
I use Firefox because Safari is not supported by my university's website, which I need daily for my assignments, online classes and quizzes... :-(

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I use Firefox because I can customize the heck out of it for free (add-ons) and I prefer the look of it over Safari. I have never tried Camino, but it's made by Mozilla (the Firefox folks) for Mac.
And I've found Firefox supports? is supported? by most websites (if a website can only be displayed by IE, I'm not all that interested in visiting it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
I'm a big fan of tabbed browsing, and I find Safari's tab controls are not as quick and easy to use as in Firefox.

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I use Safari for almost everything, but there are some compelling reasons for Firefox.

In order, they are:
Extensions, extensions, extensions, and extensions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
It just keeps bugging me.

I really don't know what's the point of using Firefox or Camino instead of Safari? I really don't see a difference except Safari is more lightweight and faster and integrates into Mac better.

Is there a point I'm missing here?

Thanks a lot in advance for the explanation! ;D

I actually find Firefox is faster than Safari for me - might be down to the sorts of sites I visit??

I think Safari is nice and I do use it - I just prefer Firefox - and that's the crux of it really - Personal Choice.

I also prefer Firefox because I find it very easy to take everything (extensions, themes, saved passwords, etc) to different platforms as I use Linux, Windows and of course OS X one folder is all I need. (Although I am moving more and more to an OS X only setup).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I used to use Safari only, but it doesn't work for certain websites. That is when I switched to Firefox. Plus I use Firefox on my pc, and it rules on pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
Like technologist already mentioned, it's because of the extensions that I use Firefox. There's so many of them and they help me out so much that my browsing time is cut down dramatically when I'm really pressed for time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I use Safari all the time but sometimes it doesn't work for some websites so I use Firefox.

OP
X

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if you all use Safari and mostly firefox, where do Camino come into the picture? I mean, I don't see any point for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Preference, some people like it. That's like asking why have different car companies when they all do the same thing in the end? Having different options is a good thing in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I prefer Safari over FF on the Mac.

-I've not found any of the plug-ins for FF that have been a big deal. I have a fast connection so even the ads don't bother me.

-With the unified look in 10.5, FF looks way out of place. It looks like a Windows App trying too hard to be a Mac app.

-I find Safaris tabs to be more intuitive that FF, but I suspect this is simply because I am used to it.

-Safari's debug menu allows it to present itself to web sites as other browsers for compliance purposes. I'm sure FF can do this with a plug-in of some sort.

-I find Safari faster than FF on both of my Macs.

-On my work PC I prefer FF over IE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Extensions/plugins are great. I have some installed in Firefox that allow me to grab and save any video file that is playing in my browser, even ones that are not normally grabbable (youtube type sites, yahoo media, music videos, news sites, etc). Safari doesn't allow you to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
1. Safari doesn't handle certificates very good (need it for my bank).
2. Safari doesn't handle tabs as well as Camino.
3. Some sites (like Google webapps) doesn't work as good in Safari as Camino.

...so I stick with Camino.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I used Firefox and now use Camino because you can create exception lists for pop-ups (can't understand why this feature from 2003 can't be put into Safari) and because the ad-block is hassle free - with Safari Block you have to create all the lists from scratch.

Camino is pretty much Firefox rendering and feautres (minus extensions) written in Cocoa and uses Keychain rather than Firefox's sandbox security.

OP
X

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Safari doesn't handle certificates very good (need it for my bank).
2. Safari doesn't handle tabs as well as Camino.
3. Some sites (like Google webapps) doesn't work as good in Safari as Camino.

...so I stick with Camino.

In Safari 3 the tabs handling is as good as in Camino, I don't see any difference actually.

As for certificates, I have a bank account only in Bank of America and it supports it very well.

Oh and BTW, the only way Firefox works for me is so I can edit item descriptions on my eBay store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
i use safari but firefox when i have to, like most apple fans i try to use the apple apps as much as possible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't understand what's making you so upset that other people use Camino and Firefox. How exactly is it bugging you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
In Safari 3 the tabs handling is as good as in Camino, I don't see any difference actually.

As for certificates, I have a bank account only in Bank of America and it supports it very well.

I agree. I have 5 bank accounts or Credit card sites, all of of which require certificates (including BofA) and they all work fine in Safari.

OP
X

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't understand what's making you so upset that other people use Camino and Firefox. How exactly is it bugging you?

I guess you didn't understand me.

It's not bugging me that people are using other browsers than Safari.

The thing that bugs me is that I don't really understand why are there so many browsers around?

I mean, it's not like Windows which we all know Internet Explorer is very bad (both for computer and your health :p ), in Mac there's Safari which is a very good browser, if not one of the best i've ever seen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.