Help with modem/connection (dial up)

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just found this forum and was hoping to find some help.

I will try and make this as short as I can :Smirk:

I have a ibook G4 (my first Mac and I can't tell you how much I love this, I would NEVER go back to a Windows PC ever again)

Ok, here's my story. I had a problem with my ISP (very slow/bad connection) so they told me to remove it (was 295.ca) and when I did that, that's when the problems started. I could not log on (now the same thing happened with my PC, With the PC, it logs on, IE can't connect then the modem disconnects, so it has to be something when I removed the connection dial up).

Now, I finally got the ibook to connect (PC still not working) but can only connect at 28800 (zzzzzzzz) and have to dial in a ton of times to connect or the modem unexpectedly hangs up (the new ISP has no problems on their end. Really good company to deal with, so I know it's not them)
I was connecting at 48/52k before, so I know it has it in it ;)

Can I uninstall and reinstall the modem or software, will that help?
Also I cannot find on this anywhere how to remove hardware or software, so ya got me.

I can't get high speed here so I'm stuck with dial up and can't reinstall the OS as I have Photoshop CS and Office but not the cd's (2nd owner)

Actually it just disconnected me now, then I dial up and it comes up.... "no carrier detected", then "modem unexpectedly hung up" then "could not negotiate a connection with the server" now on the 7th try, I connect.

Any suggestions.......ideas...........thoughts.........questions..........good anti-depressants...........this weekends lottery numbers............ Anything ???:D

Thanks everyone.....;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
(the new ISP has no problems on their end. Really good company to deal with, so I know it's not them).....
Actually it just disconnected me now, then I dial up and it comes up.... "no carrier detected", then "modem unexpectedly hung up" then "could not negotiate a connection with the server" now on the 7th try, I connect.
"Good" company or not, dial up is antiquated technology. With more and more companies focusing on their high-speed options, dial up get less and less attention and upkeep. The technology itself is spotty at best and pretty much has been from the start. You could have been getting a decent connection for a long time and then suddenly one day... poof... it turns to crap. It happened to me all the time when I still had dial up.

Any number of factors can be adding to the difficulty in your connection and it probably isn't anything to do with your hardware or software.

If you live in a area with no high-speed options, then what's left of the dial up lines will be clogged with traffic. Traditional phone lines were never intended to be used in that fashion. That being the case, the more people trying to use the network, the harder it will be to connect at times. If you have an alternative dial up number, try it. If you don't know or aren't sure if there is one, call your ISP to find out.

The inside wiring of your home can lead to connection difficulties. Older homes might need to have the wiring replaced. Some jacks might give a better connection than others. You might want to try to connect from a different jack if you can.

The phone company could be doing work on the lines. That could affect your connection sometimes.

Basically, with dial up many of the "connection problems" are beyond your actual control. Many times, nothing you do on your end will alleviate things or make your connection any faster or more solid.

OP
Reaction score
Hi, D3v1L80Y.

I hear ya, wish I could get high speed, but not available here yet :(

But the day I removed the ISP I was getting connected at a higher speed, no problems connecting at all and connected right away and the pages loded fine(still had the old ISP in the machine), then as soon as I removed the old ISP, boom.

Only thing I can think is it corrupted something, but don't know :|

Need to move to the city ;)

Sean

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.