Very Disappointed

Reaction score
After all the hype about MACs being easy to use, no driver problems, stable platform, I now have to revert to my old PC to work on a project that requires me to scan a large number of photographs.

At the Apple Store I specifically enquired if my HP new Scanjet G4050 would work with the iMAC that I bought last week. I was told that it was so easy. All you have to is plug in the USB plug and off you go.

Well, a week later and much frustration trying to get help with hanging drivers, scanner not being recognized, trying all sorts of work rounds, I was told by Applecare today that at present scanning on Leopard is very problematic and that there is no way to resolve my problem with my expensive iMAC and expensive scanner.

So back to the good old Vista PC which recognized the scanner straight off.:Angry:

Advice to anyone contemplating a MAC to use for scanning....THINK AGAIN!!!!!

Reaction score
Did you try these drivers? I have a HP all in one and the scanner works great for me under Leopard. Those drivers are new and are fully supported for Leopard. Let me know how you get on, sorry about your so far bad experience with Mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Check HP's site. Their old drivers do have some issues with Leopard.
HP has actually been working fairly diligently and they have been rolling out updated drivers specifically for 10.5 this month.
New package for mine has been out for a couple of days now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1) It's Mac, not MAC.

2) The drivers really are NOT Apples problem. HP is working on it.

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Check HP's site. Their old drivers do have some issues with Leopard.
HP has actually been working fairly diligently and they have been rolling out updated drivers specifically for 10.5 this month.
New package for mine has been out for a couple of days now.

I downloaded the latest driver from HP and it will not install fully. It hangs after about 50%.

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
1) It's Mac, not MAC.

2) The drivers really are NOT Apples problem. HP is working on it.

1/ Sorry! I am new to this and all things Apple. I will remember Mac in the future.

2/ Why was I given all those assurances at the Applestore if this is a well known problem. Was I miss sold?

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Did you try these drivers? I have a HP all in one and the scanner works great for me under Leopard. Those drivers are new and are fully supported for Leopard. Let me know how you get on, sorry about your so far bad experience with Mac.

Thanks for you response and advice. The drivers you suggest are the ones that I have used but they will not fully install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
1/ Sorry! I am new to this and all things Apple. I will remember Mac in the future.

2/ Why was I given all those assurances at the Applestore if this is a well known problem. Was I miss sold?

Maybe its not a well known problem. Alot of HPs printer drivers have been updated for Leopard, maybe they didn't realize that your's hasn't been updated yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz

HP have rubbish drivers, they caused my windows PC to crash constantly and im getting similar problems to the ones you've described on my mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't expect any computer salesman (even at an Apple store) to be all that knowledgeable. Particularly right after the release of a new OS.

If the individual hasn't installed Leopard themselves and have one of the HP printers with problems and/or spend a couple of hours a day reading multiple forums and blogs,.... Even the best out there can't know it all.

And a few people knowing about it on a forum, does not make it a well known problem.

M

MacHeadCase

According to this HP .pdf, the drivers have been updated for Leopard.

Can you try a different source for your download? Maybe HP servers are acting up...

Edited to add:

Something better than what HP could ever come up with, in terms of drivers, is VueScan, a third-party driver. It isn't free but it works very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I'd repair your permissions, reboot twice, and try again with the drivers mentioned above.

-Nick

Reaction score
MacHeadCase, could you please tell me how to restore my Dowloads folder to the Dock. KISS...I am an old frog.

Mama Bear

Reaction score
go to your computer name for example Ben James drag the downloads file down to the dock near the recycle bin, just don't put them in the bin :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
After all the hype about MACs being easy to use, no driver problems, stable platform,
The operative word here being HYPE.
Yes, it is hype. No computer or platform is infallible. At the risk of sounding condescending, anyone who really buys into advertising hype needs to learn how to ignore it and base opinions on their own experience and research.
I have no problems using a scanner with my Mac at all. Never have. I use VueScan with an older HP ScanJet 2200c and it works flawlessly. Before that I used some off-brand cheapo scanner and that worked just fine as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Have you considered installing Tiger instead? You can probably get a copy cheap or free. Maybe the Apple store can give you a copy if you explain your situation to them nicely.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I have no problems using a scanner with my Mac at all. Never have. I use VueScan with an older HP ScanJet 2200c and it works flawlessly.

I was going to suggest VueScan too available from Hamrick.

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
I'd repair your permissions, reboot twice, and try again with the drivers mentioned above.

-Nick

Thaks Nick for your advice. As a novice Mac user I do not understand "Repair your permissions". Please advise!:Oops:

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Have you considered installing Tiger instead? You can probably get a copy cheap or free. Maybe the Apple store can give you a copy if you explain your situation to them nicely.

T

My iMac came with Tiger installed and it had the Leopard disc loose in the box. I was surprised to see that the seal on the inner box had been broken. I presume that Apple had slipped the Leopard disc in the box to save customers the hassle of claiming the free upgrade. I immediately installed Leopard. I presume that the other two discs that were sealed in the packaging are the originals which include tiger.

Reaction score
Give VueScan a go - it made my old Scanjet useful again (moved from XP to Tiger). It will set you back a few $$ or €€ though...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.