Plleeassee Need Help Now -cpu Upgrade Gone Bad!

Reaction score
Ok I Just Installed My 1.7ghz Powerlogix G4for My Sawtooth. A Buddy Of Mine Gave Me Os9(legit) And From There I Updated The Firmware Through Apple, And Then Used The Powerlogix Cd Firmware Install. Shut Down And Then Replaced The Cpu Hooked It Up Turned It On, And Then Nothing, Not Even "nice Little Tone" The Computer Outputs After You Press The Power Button, What Have I Done Wrong! I Had To Have This Thing Up And Running Last Week And I Just Got The Cpu Today, Someone Please Help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
If it was working fine before the CPU swap, try going back to the old CPU. If it works, then you got a bum unit- time to contact the vendor and get a replacement.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed, go back to the old CPU and see if it's back to normal. Did it work after you updated the firmware with the old CPU?

On one old G4 that I upgraded I had to push the CUDA switch before it would come up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah Im Installing 10.4 Now With The Old Cpu, And What Is The Cuda Button?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yeah Im Installing 10.4 Now With The Old Cpu, And What Is The Cuda Button?

There should be a small button on the motherboard very close to the PRAM battery. Press it and hold it for 5 seconds.

It's now called the PMU Reset. Here is some info on what to do. Let us know if this works.

Resetting the PMU Chip Procedure

1. Disconnect the power cord and check the battery in the battery holder (BT1). The battery should read 3.3 V to 3.7 V. If the battery is bad, replace the battery, wait ten seconds, and then reset the PMU (refer to the next step). If the battery is good, go to the next step.

2. Press the PMU reset switch (S1) once on the logic board. Do not press the PMU reset switch a second time because it could stop the PMU chip from responding.

3. Wait ten seconds before connecting the power cord and turning the computer on. If the computer turns on, go to the next step. If the computer does not turn on, there is something else wrong with the computer.

OP
S
Reaction score
Wheres This Battery At? I Dont See Any Kind Of Battery Or Button On The Mobo

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wheres This Battery At? I Dont See Any Kind Of Battery Or Button On The Mobo

I edited my post. Re-Read it. The battery is in a black holder.

Edit, I found a pic and the button and battery are in the back corner of the board by the first PCI Slot.

OP
S
Reaction score
like all i see is 4 peices of plastic sticking up i dont see anytign that resembles a battery, but i see the button.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
like all i see is 4 peices of plastic sticking up i dont see anytign that resembles a battery, but i see the button.

Ouch, the battery is missing! That might be it right there. It's a special 3.6 Volt. You can find them at Radio Shack I am told but I get mine from a seller on Ebay. They are hard to find. SOME older Macs will not even boot with that battery dead or missing. Yours does with the stock CPU but that sill could be why it's not booting with your upgrade.

Does that black thing have a metal terminal at each end? The way you describe it that has to be the battery holder.

OP
S
Reaction score
yeah it is the battery holder i found a picture, and yes it has metal peices at ea ch end. **** i should have waited about sending that email to the seller, made myself look like a idiot, opps. oh well.

OP
S
Reaction score
but why would it boot with the stock cpu and no battery, but it wont boot with a upgrade cpu and no battery?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but why would it boot with the stock cpu and no battery, but it wont boot with a upgrade cpu and no battery?

The older Macs are strange that way. With my G4 Yikes I had to hit the CUDA which shorts the battery for a few every time I went to a different CPU and some would not do a thing with no battery. Worth a try anyway. I have upgraded and worked with many older Macs like yours. Ran into that many times.

OP
S
Reaction score
i just installed the battery and still nothing happens! please tell me im doing something wrong, i really need this cpu to work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just installed the battery and still nothing happens! please tell me im doing something wrong, i really need this cpu to work.

Did you hold that button down by the battery for 5 seconds? I have never messed with Power Logic upgrades but are there any jumpers to set? Did it come with any instructions? Exactly what CPU upgrade is it? Is there a Model Number? Trying to see if you are missing something.

OP
S
Reaction score
i dont know what the model number is all i know is that its a 1.7ghz g4, and yes i have tried holding the button for 5 seconds, i have tried holding the button for 10 seconds, i have even tried sweet talking it to work..lol...jk....i think its just a dead cpu, i think the guy who sold it to me had pulled it from a working computer and then left it laying it around and didn't check it before he sold it. i just hope he replaces it, cant think of anything else to try, i cant find anything on google about computer not booting after cpu upgrade, so i think im just S.O.L.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont know what the model number is all i know is that its a 1.7ghz g4, and yes i have tried holding the button for 5 seconds, i have tried holding the button for 10 seconds, i have even tried sweet talking it to work..lol...jk....i think its just a dead cpu, i think the guy who sold it to me had pulled it from a working computer and then left it laying it around and didn't check it before he sold it. i just hope he replaces it, cant think of anything else to try, i cant find anything on google about computer not booting after cpu upgrade, so i think im just S.O.L.

Is the brand for sure Power Logix?

Am looking around for info for you.

http://www.powerlogix.com/products/index.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.