This sucker gets HOT!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 2GB Ram 160GB hdd Anti-glare / hi-res screen 7200RPM hdd
OK, so I'm sitting here on my bed, with my laptop on my lap. All I have open is Firefox. My laps starts to feel pretty warm so I reach and all I have to say is WOW!!! The bottom of the laptop was so hot, I could barely leave my hand on it.

Is this normal, or something I should have checked out??

PS I've had the laptop raised off my lap, allowing air flow for about 5 minutes and it's still incredibly hot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Some people differentiate the terms "notebook" and "laptop" in a way that notebooks are not meant to be used on your bare lap. And, of course, they refer to the MBP as a notebook.

They do get pretty hot, but you have to consider all the work those components are doing in that very confined space. It's a tradeoff between design and comfort, but even the bigger laptops as powerful as the MBP get hot.

I found a quick and easy solution is to us a lap board or lap desk. Not only does it keep the heat off, but it also makes using your computer on your lap much easier and more comfortable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
sounds like you had the laptop just sitting on the sheet.

thats really a no-no for ANY laptop brand. vents are there for a reason!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
also google "mac temp database"

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, where are the vents on this thing? Is it this tiny little slit on the back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Well, where are the vents on this thing? Is it this tiny little slit on the back?
Not to sound rude...but you bought a $2700 computer. Take 5 minutes and read the manual.

FWIW, I usually put my laptop sleeve between the computer and my legs. It's more comfortable, and takes care of any heat issues.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, Macbook 2.2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I bought a macbook a few days ago and started looking for some sort of portable table to sit it on while using it on my lap. Turns out a small, white, plastic (polypropylene I think) cutting board I already owned is an absolute perfect fit for it. It slides into my carrying bag right next to the macbook. It doesn't weigh much and as a bonus, while in the bag it offers considerable additional protection to the computer. You can find these plastic cutting boards practically anywhere, including dollar stores.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so even when the notebook is sitting on a desk, or any kind of surface... It gets pretty hot!! Is this going to damage the laptop at all? (There's nothing blocking the vents, so it would appear that the air is circulating...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.