alternative to apple display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
alternatives to apple display for video editing

Hi. I'm about to buy a new Mac Pro to run Avid Xpress Pro for professional work (industrials, independent films, docs, etc). I'd like to cut corners by possibly buying cheaper display monitors (I'll probably buy two). Someone recommended the 22" Samsung Syncmaster 225BW. It seems to have a lower resolution (1680x1050 vs. 1920x1200), but it's 3x cheaper. Will the difference be that noticeable? I'm wondering if there's anyone on here who edits video who can either talk me into or out of this purchase? Thanks for your input.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
Hi is anyone using monitors while editing that are not the apple display? I'm looking to save money and came across the 22" samsung mastersync 225bw for 1/3 of the cost. I'm not sure how much I'll be sacrificing by not purchasing the 23" HD apple monitors. Anyone have experience with this? thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
IMHO the apple display is not the best display out there and there are many comprable displays being made that are equal or better in quality and lower
in price

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like Coach said, Apple Displays while excellent are not the only Displays out there. Some are equal and maybe even better at a lower cost. I have heard great things about Samsung.

If you want the Display's styling to match, then you will have to pay the higher price, but you can get another good brand for less and not skimp on quality of the image at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've never used an Apple display on any of my Macs.

I'd stay away from the Samsung Syncmasters too, not the best clarity.

Reaction score
The Dell Ultrasharp monitors have a good reputation. <cringe>

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Samsung my close friend James has looks outstanding but his was not cheap. Dells are very good also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
If you live in the UK, scan have the viewsonic 23" for £222, which is awesome.

The vast majority of 23/24" displays will be fantastic quality, save the low end acer and unbranded ones, so you can't really go wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The Samsung 22" you mentioned has the same resolution that most 20" monitors display at. Just image 2 monitors together. One is a 20" and the other is a 22" and they both have the same resolution. The 20" will look crisper because the pixels are smaller. The image on the 22" will look bigger because there are 2 extra inches of diagonal screen. The 22" won't look as crisp because the pixels are larger.
Some people don't like the Samsung monitors. I was thinking of getting one but after reading a lot of reviews, they seem pretty cheap (which is probably why they're 1/3 of the cost of a Cinema Display.)
If you need two monitors, I would just divide what the max is you can spend into two halves. I would think 2- 20" monitors would be cheapest and best for your situation.
I really like my NEC but that cost $330 with no tax and free shipping. It's a LCD2070WNX.

Reaction score
The Apple display is just so darn aesthetically pleasing though. It's almost worth the extra cost... Almost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
ah, so you've started the same thread twice...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts and moved to proper forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The Dell Ultrasharp monitors have a good reputation. <cringe>

LOL they have the same LCD as the Apple Cinema displays, they're made by Philips, I think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.