.11 update issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I installed the update to 10.4 yesterday. Now the startup is alot slower on my MB and the internet doesnt work. I go into safari and it shows my startup page on the very top of the browser window, but in the address bar it says "go to this page" it sits with the blue status bar about 1/10th of the way loaded and thats it. I am on my PPC iMac that has the 10.4.11 update and it works fine.
I think its a problem with safari 3.0. i downloaded the beta a while ago and was not happy with it, so I put 2.something back on. Hopefully a bug fix will be out soon.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found a few pages on the internet about the problem. Apparently the safari 3 version used parts from the 2 version and it messes itself up. I completely deleted all of the parts to the "new" mangled Safari and extracted safari from the update like it said on some of the websites that I went to. And it still doesnt work. So I had to resort to downloading Firefox, unfortunately. I guess I will just wait unitl there is a Safari update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
thanks - I think I will back-up before I run the update

M

MacHeadCase

What I would do is this.

I would make sure that if I have Safari add-ons, I would drag them to the trash.

I'd restart in Safe Boot mode to get rid of all the invisible junk lying around in the system.

While in Safe Boot, I would run MainMenu to clear out all the caches.

I would then go to Apple/Support/Downloads and download the 10.4.11 Combo Update for PowerPC and reapply the update again.

I would then restart. See if that helps you, KB.

Report back. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tip with main Menu.

I usually use ONYX but will also give the new program a try

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you saying I should download the PPC version even though I have an intel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Are you saying I should download the PPC version even though I have an intel?
I don't think so.

MHC may of got confused with your post when you said you were on your PPC iMac. If your running Intel then download the Intel one.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is what I figured. I didnt have any internet on my MB, so I had to use my iMac in order to post.

M

MacHeadCase

GAH! Thought you mentioned you had an iMac G5! Sorry 'bout that! So download the Intel Combo Update then.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am pretty sure I got rid of the add-ons a while ago just because I didnt like them. Where should I check to make sure I got them all?

M

MacHeadCase

Should be in: Macintosh HD -> Users -> your user account -> Library -> Application Support -> Safari

here:

Macintosh HD -> Users -> your user account -> Library -> InputManagers

and here:

Macintosh HD -> Library -> InputManagers

If you find anything related to Safari it should be in those places.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I made sure all those folders were empty. They were. i did the safe mode and MainMenu things you said, MHC. This did not help. Safari still does the same thing it did before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iMac, Xserve, iPod, unlocked iPhone
I just ran the update on my Mini and restarted but now it is stuck an hour in the boot (Apple logo and spinning wheel).

What do?

Thanks!

M

MacHeadCase

KB, did you did you reapply the Combo update again?

amagab, try starting up in Safe Boot mode, log in to your account and restart again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I just ran the update on my Mini and restarted but now it is stuck an hour in the boot (Apple logo and spinning wheel).

What do?

Thanks!

This has happened to me. The only way that i know of to fixing this problem is to reinstall Tiger. Do a archive and install so you dont lose anything.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea MHC I did the whole combo install again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just updated to 10.4.11

using the PPC combo update

It restarted again halfway through the restart , then a kernel panic but it is alright now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iMac, Xserve, iPod, unlocked iPhone
Okay, so I first tried booting into Safe mode but it wouldn't work. I then ran the disk utility, repaired permissions, and then checked the disk but everything was okay according to the diagnose.

So I really only had two options: Archive Install or Restore with Time Machine. Since I've been fascinated with Time Machine I decided to go that route and it worked like a charm. It's now back to normal. I still have to run the update again but I'm a bit leery.

When I setup Time Machine I was thinking of excluding the System files and only do my Home folder. I am now happy I never did that. Boy, I didn't know I would have use of Time Machine so soon but am really happy it was an option.

Thanks for your suggestions!

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that makes me want 10.5, amadgab

M

MacHeadCase

Okay, so I first tried booting into Safe mode but it wouldn't work. I then ran the disk utility, repaired permissions, and then checked the disk but everything was okay according to the diagnose.

So I really only had two options: Archive Install or Restore with Time Machine. Since I've been fascinated with Time Machine I decided to go that route and it worked like a charm. It's now back to normal. I still have to run the update again but I'm a bit leery.

When I setup Time Machine I was thinking of excluding the System files and only do my Home folder. I am now happy I never did that. Boy, I didn't know I would have use of Time Machine so soon but am really happy it was an option.

Thanks for your suggestions!

This was a thread about 10.4.11 Tiger. Since you posted in here, i thought you were on 10.4.11 as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.