.11 update issues

Reaction score
When I downloaded the Safari 3 beta, there was an uninstaller in the .dmg that rolled it back to Safari 2. Download the new (not beta) Safari 3 and see if there is a package that rolls it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iMac, Xserve, iPod, unlocked iPhone
Oops, sorry, my mistake.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
Well you cant get the new safari by itself unless you extract it from the update. I looked in the update and I dont see anything that lets me uninstall it. I wish it had one of those though.

Does apple have the last version of Safari before 3 on their website? I could just download that and install it again.

M

MacHeadCase

Can you create a new user account and see if Safari and the OS work correctly in there? Maybe there's something in your usual user account that is creating a conflict.

M

MacHeadCase

Researched this a bit further today and by googling safari 3 beta and 10.4.11 problem I came across MacInTouch's Reader Reports on 10.4.11 (weird as only the Google cached version takes me to a listing put together on November 15th while the ordinary link just takes me to November 17th and up). There seems to be a consensus to remove third-party apps that work as add-ons for Safari. See these posts here:

Len Tomko:
Installing 10.4.11 went well except when running Safari 3.0. I was unable to get to any web pages. Clicking on a Bookmark would not even transfer an address into the address box. FireFox still worked. I believe I was able to trace the problem down to having an old version of PicLens installed (www.piclens.com/site/safari/). There is a removal option for the old PicLens under the Safari>View menu. I ran it then everything worked.

Safari v3 installed by update 10.4.11 repeatedly crashed on launch. Removing safari extender and safari plus as well as trashing the preferences file resolved this problem. Fixing permissions and resetting the parameter ram did not.

James Wages:
To supplement the Safari 3 crash report I sent to MacInTouch a few hours ago, I realized that I did in fact have a 3rd party add-on: Speed Download 4. After deleting the "SpeedDownload Enhancer" folder from hard disk/Library/InputManagers/, I was able to eliminate the Safari 3.0.4 crash. I then downloaded the lastest version installer for Speed Download and now have Speed Download 4.1.17 running fine in Safari 3.0.4.
All said, if you are having Safari 3 crashes after updating to 10.4.11, you may need to reinstall Speed Download 4.

Paul Specter:
Quick question: Is there any documentation anywhere that describes the difference between the final, released version of Safari 3 vs. Safari 2? I've looked for a whole 15 minutes through MacInTouch and Apple's website and can't find this information.
And one observation about the 10.4.11 update: There are plenty of warnings about 3rd party add-ons and modifications to Safari that could cause problems when updating to Safari 3. We can't help people that don't read Macintouch, but for those that do, please take this seriously before upgrading and then complaining that you are having Safari problems. Too bad that Apple didn't build into their update script a check to ensure that Safari was unmodified and to at least warn the user if this was the case. It might have saved people that don't read update notes before proceeding.

Scott Meves:
I had problems with the Safari 3 beta version: after opening the program it would immediately crash. I then realized I had both the debug menu turned on as well as the Safari WebDev tools installed. After turning off the debug menu and uninstalling WebDev, Safari 3 works great.

Ray Drainville:
Like others, I've also had crashes with Safari. And, like others, the answer appears to be in the presence of items in ~/Library/Input Managers, which incidentally is not supported by Apple (for security reasons among others).
I had three input managers for Safari:
* 1Password (a password manager & generator)
* Edit in TextMate (a hook into TextMate, useful for editing large text e.g., on a blog)
* SafariTidy (an essential tool for web developers, it establishes the validity of your [X]HTML documents)
It turns out that SafariTidy was the culprit. Kasper Nauwelaerts, the developer, has developed an update for the *10.5* version of Safari, but not for *10.4*. He's noted he's aware of the problem, but doesn't have an estimated release date.
Those of us who rely upon such items (Saft & SIMBL are other popular input managers) are in something of a quandary. As John Gruber implied regarding input managers and unsupported software, this situation isn't going to get better but worse as time passes.

Etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" imac 2.66 1T 8GB
I really don't know what to do, this stupid safari, All I want it to do is run the internet I want it back to the way it was 24 hrs ago. How do I get to there. Nice update apple. next time maybe try it out for a while before dumping it on us. I have a very difficult time with apple and it's software, so please give me step by step directions to get this thing to work.

Thanks
Jon

Reaction score
ya. i installed the 10.4.11 update. it was fine but now im noticing really slow start up times and safari is crashing like crazy. i dont have any issues getting onto the web though.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok now I remember I have that piclens addon. I dont have internet access at my house for some reason right now. Its some where on verizons end. I am actually at school on the internet and I dont have my MB with me, so I will check it out as soon as I get home.

M

MacHeadCase

From the PicLens website:

Uninstalling PicLens
To remove PicLens from your computer, select the Remove PicLens option from the View > PicLens menu in Safari, or delete the PicLens folder from the /Library/InputManagers folder of your hard disk.

Reaction score
I'm getting kernal panics after installing the upgrade. How do I boot into Safe Mode?

Reaction score
Arg, I didn't realize this was such a problem. I already had to do an archive install...I thought the problem was my fault the first time because I had some programs open while it was installing.
I just tried to install it again and it messed up again. I have gone into disk utility and repaired permissions, and then verified them again. I don't know what else to do...I really don't want to reinstall yet again. Any tips? Is there something I can install over it to make sure everything is fine?

Pls help ASAP...I'm going to need to shut down soon...

M

MacHeadCase

Hi Neferatowen! Just remember that doing an Archive & Install can be tricky sometimes, as you import in your new install old stuff that could possibly bring in some problems.

Read this sticky, Tiger upgrading to Leopard FAQ, it explains what are the pros and cons of the different types of installs.

For myself, I always prefer doing a full backup clone of my internal hard drive on an external, then using the Erase and Install method for installing a new OS, that way I really do start with a fresh new install to begin with.

Reaction score
Thanks! I will keep that in mind if I get leopard. I think I read something about that elsewhere as well...but in this case I was just reinstalling Tiger and I wasn't able to backup anything. When I went to one of the apple stores and talked to a mac genius he was able to get a major project off and e-mail it to me though. A couple of my programs were gone but for the most part everything survived the reinstall.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I am at school again in Safari. It woks now that i deleted Piclens. I cant wait for it to work for the new safari. Thanks alot MHC.

M

MacHeadCase

Yay! Glad you got it in working shape again, KB! :)

Edited to add:

BTW I think you can now download and install the latest PicLens. After I saw your post, I investigated on PicLens, was curious and decided I would try it on 10.4.11 and installed it. Works without a hitch as does Safari 3.0.4. ;)

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I downloaded the newest PicLens and it does work in the new safari, so thank you again MHC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.