Using VNC from anywhere in the world?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
OK, basically I have VNC server setup on my windows machine and currently when I'm on the same network in my house I am able to use chicken of VNC to connect to it.

However I do this using the IP Address 192.168.1.3 which is my internal IP address

If i do this when I'm not on my network, for example when I'm at university would it still connect in the same way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Nope... That's only a LOCAL address... Millions of people around the world have that exact same LOCAL address... Millions.

You need to use your actual IP address... Click this link: http://www.whatsmyip.org/

Reaction score
...and you need to have the proper ports open on your home firewall that will forward the requests to the system you are trying to control.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i used my IP Address from whatismyip.org and I typed it in to chicken of VNC and it said:

can not connect to server [IP address and Port Number]

connection refused: connect()

What does this mean? why does it display that message?

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Port is open on on my router and software based firewalls on my mac and pc but it still don't work....

Reaction score
do you have a rule in your router's firewall that forwards port 5900 to the internal IP address of the system you want to control? If not, then the router doesn't know what to do with the request.

EDIT: That's probably what you mean you did...but just making sure.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.