• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Importing 12 min video to iMov1e: 150 minutes???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I have a video clip that originally came from a VHS tape I put onto DVD then onto my MBP via Handbrake (MP4, 30 FPS). I wanted to edit it, so I started importing it to iMovie and now iMovie is telling me it will take 150 minutes to import this low def 12 minute video clip!

What's up with that? Is that normal?? I can't imagine trying to use any substantial amount of video with this program if this is normal, and I don't even want to think about high def. That could take weeks to import!

This is my first time using imovie, so if anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it.

Reaction score
No, that's not normal. Even though it's converting it in the process, it shouldn't take that long.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Some times the import clock give you a bad estimate of time. How long did it really take to import the clip?

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know exactly how long it took. I went to bed and let it finish the job on it's own. But I was sitting there at least 20-30 minutes while it was importing and the funny thing is the clock didn't ever go down from 150 and the completion bar barely moved.

Even 20-30 minutes for such a small file seems excessive.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After trying to work with the clip I imported, I find iMovie to be extremely laggy. I keep getting the "Beachball of death" and the mouse is jumping all over the place. It's impossible to work with! I think I'll have to try to old version and hope it works better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.