Microsoft Bluetooth mouse 5000

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Road Warrior: PowerBook G4 12", 1.33GHz, 1.25GB ~~~ Work/Testing: G5 iMac, C2D iMac, CoreDuo Mini
I used the Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth for about a month with my MacBook. It's a decent mouse, although I wasn't happy with its performance on OS X. For one, the IntelliMouse software download for this particular model doesn't list an OS X version--I used IntelliPoint 6.22 for Mac. The software allowed configuration of the back/forward side buttons and the mysterious application switching button below the scrollwheel (worked well with Expose).

Unfortunately, I had sleep issues with the laptop when the mouse was active. Fairly frequently, the computer wouldn't wake from sleep if I didn't explicitly disconnect the mouse before closing the lid (or manually put it to sleep). Even more frightening, there were numerous occasions when the laptop wouldn't sleep when closing the lid. On a couple occasions, I closed the laptop without turning off bluetooth and put it in my laptop bag without confirming that it was asleep, only to find the battery completely drained and the laptop blisteringly hot a short while later. The sleep problems ceased immediately after switching to a bluetooth MightyMouse. I'm not a fan of the MightMouse's right-click, but it's better than melting my laptop. I'm not sure if it was a hardware or software issue with the IntelliMouse, but I would hesitate to recommend using one with a laptop. Of course, the sleep problems wouldn't be such an issue with a desktop system.

Although not as big of an issue as the sleep problems, I also noticed that the tracking of the IntelliMouse was much more jerky than that of standard USB mice or the MightyMouse. It didn't hamper the usability of the mouse--just a minor annoyance. It's possible that newer Microsoft mice operate at a higher resolution than this particular model.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
I use a Microsoft Notebook Presenter 8000 with my MBP which is very similar to the one your asking about but it comes with a laser pointer and media controls built in. It works pretty good all things considered. It does drop its signal every now and then but every bluetooth mouse ive ever used has, including apples mighty mouse. Its just as precise in tracking as any other bluetooth mouse ive used...battery life kinda sucks on it though. I get about a month, month and a half on a set of AAA's, but i do use it on average probably 6+ hours a day.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
Thanks for the replies. I will have to think about this for a bit. I am trying to come up with an alternative to the Mighty mouse, and I am tired of the one button mouse that I currently have and never use because of the inconvience of having to repedidly use the keyboard and trackpad for right click and scrolling.

Reaction score
I have the MS BTooth Notebook 5000. So far so good, but it did not come with software so the click wheel and side button do a lot of nothing.

What software are folks using with this mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Thanks for the replies. I will have to think about this for a bit. I am trying to come up with an alternative to the Mighty mouse, and I am tired of the one button mouse that I currently have and never use because of the inconvience of having to repedidly use the keyboard and trackpad for right click and scrolling.

Unless I am missing something the Mighty Mouse has one button on each side
configurable two hidden touch sensitive buttons on the top shell and a scroll
button in the middle.

Reaction score
This mouse works fine for me on Windows 7, but the pointer is very jumpy on Mac OS X (Snow Leopard). Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I've installed the MS Intellipoint drivers and it's still awful.

Thanks!

Reaction score
jumpier

I love this mouse so much that I actually have 2 of them. One is paired to my company's laptop and the other to my mac book pro. ;D

I noticed with certain batteries, the one I use on the PC laptop keeps losing the connection and I have to turn it off and on again.

The one I use on the mac book pro is jumpier than ever these days. It might be because of the batteries (yellow ones from Ikea, same ones that drop the connection on the PC) ...I'll try with other ones and will let you know.

This mouse is light, fits perfectly on the size of my hand. I really hope the issue I'm having is just related to the batteries.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.