Freezing iMac problem solved! Maybe...

Reaction score
I'm just curious as to whether or not the new firmware update has solved the freezing problems.

Obviously it's available via software update.

Please post your results.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307008

This update is for 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computers with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics processor, running Mac OS X 10.4.10 with iMac Software Update 1.2.1 for Tiger, or Mac OS X 10.5 with iMac Software Update 1.3 for Leopard.

It updates the graphics firmware on the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO card to address issues that may have caused the computer to freeze.

Not every 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computer requires this update. If you are not automatically presented with this update, your computer does not need it.

If you manually download this update and attempt to install it on an ineligible computer, you will receive an error message.

If you manually download the update and receive the following error message when selecting a volume, "You cannot install iMac Graphics Firmware Update on this volume. Your computer does not need this update," one of two conditions exist:
You have not installed the iMac Software Update 1.2.1 for Tiger or iMac Software Update 1.3 for Leopard. From the Apple menu, select Software Update and install the appropriate software update, and then reinstall iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0.

You have already installed this update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It turns out my iMac isn't one of the ones that needed it.

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm new to Mac Forums and have just bought myself an Aluminum iMac from the Sheffield, Meadowhall Branch in the UK. So hello to everyone here!

Sheffield is really far from where we live so we travelled down yesterday to buy it. Got it home, it didn't come with Leopard pre-installed so we had to use the 'drop-in' disc it came with. Upgraded to Leopard and then updated all the software. Throughout the day of using the iMac, I had to hard reset the machine (hold the power button in) as the machine constantly locked up. The mouse and keyboard would stop working and sometimes the screen would change colour and/or go off but not completely.

I called Apple and they asked me to go to the shop for a replacement. I wasn't happy as we had only had the machine less than 24 hours. What a disappointment. I agreed and travelled back down to Sheffield this evening and they provided me with a brand new machine.

I've been home around 5 hours and managed to install Leopard using the 'drop in' CD once again and now the updates are nearly complete. I'm hoping and although not religious in the slightest, I am praying that once I restart I get to use this beautiful machine without the constant locking up and having to ask myself the question 'why did I get a mac'. But let's not be negative!

I've read throughout so many posts of the problems people are having. According to Apple and many others, they are awaiting a fix! So I guess we have to just sit around. I've just posted on here to discuss the matter a bit further as everyone has paid out money for the machines and I do understand that new software can always have glitches here and there etc.

Just thought I'd post and say hi and get some more information on what's happening with people and there new iMacs

Thanks

20" Alum iMac, 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
I was at Best Buy last weekend to check out the iMac. I am looking to purchase one before the year's end. The 24" model they had on display had all of the freezing symptoms that everyone is describing. I couldn't believe that the "Apple sales team" didn't switch it out for one that worked properly.

The 20" base model seemed to be working fine in the few minutes I messed with it.

M

MacHeadCase

Hi there!

I'm new to Mac Forums and have just bought myself an Aluminum iMac from the Sheffield, Meadowhall Branch in the UK. So hello to everyone here!

Sheffield is really far from where we live so we travelled down yesterday to buy it. Got it home, it didn't come with Leopard pre-installed so we had to use the 'drop-in' disc it came with. Upgraded to Leopard and then updated all the software. Throughout the day of using the iMac, I had to hard reset the machine (hold the power button in) as the machine constantly locked up. The mouse and keyboard would stop working and sometimes the screen would change colour and/or go off but not completely.

I called Apple and they asked me to go to the shop for a replacement. I wasn't happy as we had only had the machine less than 24 hours. What a disappointment. I agreed and travelled back down to Sheffield this evening and they provided me with a brand new machine.

I've been home around 5 hours and managed to install Leopard using the 'drop in' CD once again and now the updates are nearly complete. I'm hoping and although not religious in the slightest, I am praying that once I restart I get to use this beautiful machine without the constant locking up and having to ask myself the question 'why did I get a mac'. But let's not be negative!

I've read throughout so many posts of the problems people are having. According to Apple and many others, they are awaiting a fix! So I guess we have to just sit around. I've just posted on here to discuss the matter a bit further as everyone has paid out money for the machines and I do understand that new software can always have glitches here and there etc.

Just thought I'd post and say hi and get some more information on what's happening with people and there new iMacs

Thanks

20" Alum iMac, 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD

Welcome to Mac-Forums, trancedoutdav.

You've come to the right place, I think that you'll see plenty of info in the various threads posted in M-F. If a search does not give you answers to your questions, just post away in the proper forum and we'll give it our best shot to help you out. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24inch IMac 3.06Ghz 2Gb, 15inch MacBookPro 2.33Ghz 2Gb
i think my problem is solved.

well as the top say it i think my problem is solved or just beginning. my imac also as that problem freezing and i was told buy a mac genius. not that any of you could not have helped me out. he said its your ram... :| oh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.