Wonder if I can install Leopard this way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

On Monday, I purchased a new iMac 24 2.4GHz with an extra GB Ram and it came preloaded with OS-10 version 10.4.10. During setup, I used the Migration assistant to move all of my contents from my older iMac 17 (Intel Core Duo) to my new machine using a Firewire cable and everything went great.

Being eligible for the $9.95 Leopard Upgrade DVD, I ordered it from Apple and it came in today.

So, I'm wondering what would be the best, problem-free installation method:
- Do a fresh install of Leopard and do the migration once again from my older iMac while Leopard is installing?
- Do a fresh Leopard install and once complete and rebooted, do the Migration?

Also, according to some of the horror stories I read on this forum (sluggishness, dock, torrents downloads and Airport issues, etc., should I go ahead and install or should I wait for 10.5.1?

Any input or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gene

p.s. Love my new aluminum iMac, the 24" glossy screen is beautiful and the new keyboard is a pleasure to use.
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
10.5.1 came out today, so you dont have to wait for that.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi,

On Monday, I purchased a new iMac 24 2.4GHz with an extra GB Ram and it came preloaded with OS-10 version 10.4.10. During setup, I used the Migration assistant to move all of my contents from my older iMac 17 (Intel Core Duo) to my new machine using a Firewire cable and everything went great.

Being eligible for the $9.95 Leopard Upgrade DVD, I ordered it from Apple and it came in today.

- Do a fresh install of Leopard and do the migration once again from my older iMac while Leopard is installing?

Also, according to some of the horror stories I read on this forum (sluggishness, dock, torrents downloads and Airport issues, etc., should I go ahead and install or should I wait for 10.5.1?

Thanks,
Gene

p.s. Love my new aluminum iMac, the 24" glossy screen is beautiful and the new keyboard is a pleasure to use.
:D

I would do a clean install and then use the Migration Assistant to pull your applications/data & settings from the 17". This way you get a clean install (a very good thing with Leopard, from my experience).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2.33 GHz 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 200GB HD
Either way when you do the migration wont matter. When it asks you the first time to do the migration it has already finished installing all of the system files to your hard drive. You would be better off doing it first then you wouldn't have to make a user account. And like Stretch said, 10.5.1 came out today, so go ahead and enjoy the experience, if your one of the lucky ones to not experience the bugs ;)

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Something I forgot to mention, on Tuesday, I also installed my Airport Extreme Base Station and this has added things to my keychain and airport configuration. Is there a way for me to copy these files to CD, install Leopard, do the Migration then overwrite the older files with the new ones I copied on the CD?

If so, does anyone want to walk me through this procedure please?

Thanks,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In your utilities folder there is a keychain access application. And under the file menu you can find import and export items. Export the items and burn them onto a cd or put them on a flash drive. When you boot into your new system, you can simply import that file.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In your utilities folder there is a keychain access application. And under the file menu you can find import and export items. Export the items and burn them onto a cd or put them on a flash drive. When you boot into your new system, you can simply import that file.

Thanks for all the info.

A few people (on another forum) have also suggested that I do an A&I, would that be easier (and safe)?

BTW, have you installed the 10.5.1 update and does it take care of most reported issues?

Thanks,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hi,

Neither. Do an Archive and Install of 10.5. You get a new system folder and then it integrates your profile into it so you keep all your data. The update to 10.5.1.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Neither. Do an Archive and Install of 10.5. You get a new system folder and then it integrates your profile into it so you keep all your data. The update to 10.5.1.

If I understand correctly, doing an Archive and Install would do a clean install of Leopard, integrate my preferences and keychain but are my apps, docs, etc. automatically transfered to the new installation or do I have to transfer them from the archive folder?

Sorry for the stupid question but I never did an A&I before and want to be sure of the best trouble-free option at my disposal.

Cheers,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I understand correctly, doing an Archive and Install would do a clean install of Leopard, integrate my preferences and keychain but are my apps, docs, etc. automatically transfered to the new installation or do I have to transfer them from the archive folder?

Sorry for the stupid question but I never did an A&I before and want to be sure of the best trouble-free option at my disposal.

Cheers,
Gene

Not a stupid question at all.

Since your Apps, Docs & etc all reside in your profile (except for things on external drives, which are stand alone, or things you choose to keep outside your profile at root level) and your profile is integrated into the new system, the answer is yes. It even leaves your network settings and desktop picture the same.

The upside is that the old system is simply renamed "Old System" at left at root level on the drive. Everything is still there and if there is anything you may want to retrieve you can do so. You can delete the old system at your leisure. I usually wait about a week to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An archive install is a great solution as well. But a fresh install will ensure a more successful install since it will put the operating system on a clean defragged slate. If you have had the old os on there for more than half of a year I would recommend a clean install. An archive install is very quick and painless and it really does feel more like you are upgrading your old system, but its much cleaner. Wiping and migrating is easy too, it just takes a while. But if you do an archive install just remember to get rid of your old system folder when you have ensured you have everything on your new system.

Good luck.

P.S. About 10.5.1, I never really had any big issues, except for the finder burning blank disks, haven't checked to see if that works now... the finder bar at the top seems to come up really quick on startup (it came up really slow for me and I could open other apps like firefox and messenger before it would show up). Anyways, have fun with leopard. I've had good experiences with it but my luck seems to be really high. I had good luck with the beta build, the first release, and even installing the 10.5.1 update solely on battery power (Don't do it, I'm nuts, I was asking for problems and I am lucky I didn't get any. :p)

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a stupid question at all.

Since your Apps, Docs & etc all reside in your profile (except for things on external drives, which are stand alone, or things you choose to keep outside your profile at root level) and your profile is integrated into the new system, the answer is yes. It even leaves your network settings and desktop picture the same.

The upside is that the old system is simply renamed "Old System" at left at root level on the drive. Everything is still there and if there is anything you may want to retrieve you can do so. You can delete the old system at your leisure. I usually wait about a week to do so.

Great, I'll go that way then. A heck of a lot simpler than installing Leopard, moving my older iMac from the other room and using the migrate utility then updating everything I did when installing the router.

So, I'll do an A&I install then update to 10.5.1

Thanks,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An archive install is a great solution as well. But a fresh install will ensure a more successful install since it will put the operating system on a clean defragged slate. If you have had the old os on there for more than half of a year I would recommend a clean install. An archive install is very quick and painless and it really does feel more like you are upgrading your old system, but its much cleaner. Wiping and migrating is easy too, it just takes a while. But if you do an archive install just remember to get rid of your old system folder when you have ensured you have everything on your new system.

I would completely disagree with that statement. Since the OSX Disc Utility runs all it's checks prior to ANY install your disc is prepared for it ahead of time. Since OSX does a fair amount of Defragging on the fly, it's not an issue.

There is also no rush to ditch the old system folder after an A&I. I've left them around for months with no ill effects on the system other than taking up space.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

As I mentioned, got the iMac on Monday and did the setup and migration then, I don't think there would be fragmentation.

Good luck.

LOL! Thanks!

P.S. About 10.5.1, I never really had any big issues, except for the finder burning blank disks, haven't checked to see if that works now... the finder bar at the top seems to come up really quick on startup (it came up really slow for me and I could open other apps like firefox and messenger before it would show up). Anyways, have fun with leopard. I've had good experiences with it but my luck seems to be really high. I had good luck with the beta build, the first release, and even installing the 10.5.1 update solely on battery power (Don't do it, I'm nuts, I was asking for problems and I am lucky I didn't get any. :p)

LOL! You should have been a stuntman for all the chances you like to take.

Cheers,
Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would completely disagree with that statement. Since the OSX Disc Utility runs all it's checks prior to ANY install your disc is prepared for it ahead of time. Since OSX does a fair amount of Defragging on the fly, it's not an issue.

There is also no rush to ditch the old system folder after an A&I. I've left them around for months with no ill effects on the system other than taking up space.

Archive and Install will be the way to go for me, the puter is new and there shouldn't be any fragmentation issues. BTW, didn't know that OS-X did defragging...

Anyways, if I run into problems, I can always go back to a clean install and migrate my stuff...

Cheers,
Gene

BTW Baggss, did you upgrade to 10.5.1? Any major improvements?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same here on 10.5.1. I have had some longer boots since going from Tiger to Leopard, but no stability issues to speak of.

Out of curiosity, what would be the cause for the longer boots?

Cheers,
Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Out of curiosity, what would be the cause for the longer boots?

Cheers,
Gene

I've noticed with Apple updates in the past that once you reboot it may start slower but then speed back up. I suspect this is simply a system optimization going on but I don't know for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.