powermac mmd dual 887

Reaction score
i just got mine that i bought ebay...works pretty good with the nvidia 4x video 32mg card,,got a 9800 pro coming, should speed things up video wise

i have keyboard that came off a g3...but i cannot get it to power up the mmd buy pressing the start button on the keybord...do i need to upgrade it.??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know at some point with some of the newer G4's that keyboard power button stopped working. I know on my G4 Mac Mini it would not power on the machine. Not sure with the MDD as I have never tried one with the Keyboard power button.

OP
R
Reaction score
quess i can live with that....will the new keyboards work with my mmd dual 867

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
By new you mean the new Aluminum ones? Sure. If you want to use all the features be sure Tiger with all updates are installed but yes, they will work fine. The Wireless one though needs Bluetooth to operate. I have a friend who is VERY poor. I set him up with a G3 Blue and White and a new Apple keyboard. Worked great. Now he has the 1.25Ghz Mac Mini with latest Tiger and works like on a new Mac.

OP
R
Reaction score
okay,,,,,thanks ... this dual 867 works better than the g3 i had, or the 800 mghz 2002 i had....can,t wait to put the 9800 pro in it..should help a lot...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Hi there, just to clarify - after the blue and white G3s were phased out, and with the introduction of the Slot loading G3 imacs, the "pro" keyboard was introduced, and hence the non-support of the power button, the firmware was never installed.

Any USB keyboard will work with your G4, Theoretically. Good choice, they are great machines.

Alex

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My G4 500 Sawtooth and G4 Digital Audio both work fine with the power button on the older Apple keyboards, so it was after those machines at least that the firmware was left out.

OP
R
Reaction score
i bought a newer keyboard last night....the last one that apple sold before the new alunium.... i don,t think i would like the new boards..becasue i like to type with the keyboard on my lap...it seems to small for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.