Leopard burning problem. (Finder blank dvd or cd recognition)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2.33 GHz 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 200GB HD
Leopard has been a really great experience so far, however, I have found one bug that seems a little serious. Finder wont detect blank CDs or DVDs when they are inserted, and when finder is selected to mount them, an error appears that says the media couldn't be recognized. I thought maybe the disk may have been bad and have tried multiple, I also switched from DVD to CD, with the same problems. I finally ended up trying Toast to burn and it worked just fine. So the issue seems to be with the finder in Leopard. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? I'm about to do an archive re-install. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

OP
Zedaine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the 10.5.1 update didn't fix it. I even thought Toast might even be the culprit but an uninstall of that didn't fix it. Has anyone with leopard experienced this? Well, when I have a free hour I am probably going to Archive Install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
Sorry no experience with that. I do have mine automated to open Popcorn on a blank DVD insert.

Reaction score
Could it be a problem with your burner? I was having the same problem last year (with Tiger) and it turned out to be the beginning stages of my superdrive dying.

OP
Zedaine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope not. But it burns just fine with toast 8, finder just wont see it. Started happening with leopard, so I think it's a leopard bug. I haven't found any help about this online anywhere else. So, I may just do an archive install, if that doesn't fix it, I suppose I'll get the optical drive replaced...

Reaction score
Burning Problems with Leopard

I know this discussion is a little older, but I just run into the troubles described and was looking all over the net for days to find a solution.

Problem: At first my Power MAC superdrive start giving up on DVD's, it don't read and don't write any DVD's except commercial DVD's.

So I assumed logically that my drive is dying slowly.

Then it also gave up reading non commercial CD's and burning was only successful in 1 out of 10 attempts.

So, I searched but could not find a solution. Replacing the drive was not easy possible where i live. So I got an external drive and oups.. it behaved the same way.

Solution: Get rid of all Toast versions you may have installed including the Library files. On the Raxio website you find instructions.

After removing all files related and a reboot, well both drives are working perfectly. All CD's and VD are found by the finder, open, play and burn without problem.

Obviously Toast is messing up some leopard settings.

Hope that helps if someone get into this annoying trouble.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.