MBP too heavy to carry with me every day?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None Yet
I was wondeing how many of ya'll carry your MB or MBP with you to class work ect? I'm trying to get a feel of which one would be better for me. I am in love with the MBP but the smaller size of the MB may suit me better. I am concerned that carrying the MBP with me to class every day will get tireing. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well, it depends on a lot of factors: how big are you, what kind of bag do you use (shoulder or backpack), how far do you walk, how many books do you need to carry.

I can tell you my situation and maybe you can relate. I have a 15" MBP that I carry to class pretty much every day. I'm about 6' tall, I usually only have to carry one big textbook and some folders and notebook, I use a messenger bag, and I walk about 5-10 minutes to class. Right now, I'm pretty much at the limit of what I consider comfortable. If I have to carry another book, I can, but it starts to get uncomfortable.

The main issue though is that I use a shoulder bag. When I used a backpack I could carry my MBP and a couple of books without any problem. I would say that if you really want the MBP, just use a backpack and you should be fine unless you're really small.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Intel 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM. Also; Intel Macbook 2Ghz, Intel MacMini 1.83Ghz
I was wondeing how many of ya'll carry your MB or MBP with you to class work ect? I'm trying to get a feel of which one would be better for me. I am in love with the MBP but the smaller size of the MB may suit me better. I am concerned that carrying the MBP with me to class every day will get tireing. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks!

This might solve your dilemma - I have a 15.4" MBP and Mrs Wobs has a Macbook. The macbook is heavier than the MBP. It's not as good either. So my recommendation is ...... get a decent bag! Look at the INCASE top loader sling bag...... you will never think about a MB again - promise;D
Cheers
Wobs

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None Yet
I have a chrome (the Metropolis, large size)messenger bag that I use. I bike maybe a .25 mile to class or walk. If I walk its probably about a 15 min walk or so. I am 6 ft. Next semester I have 3 of my classes back to back. So potentially i will have to carry 3 text books.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Intel 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM. Also; Intel Macbook 2Ghz, Intel MacMini 1.83Ghz
This might solve your dilemma - I have a 15.4" MBP and Mrs Wobs has a Macbook. The macbook is heavier than the MBP. It's not as good either. So my recommendation is ...... get a decent bag! Look at the INCASE top loader sling bag...... you will never think about a MB again - promise;D
Cheers
Wobs

Here is the case I refer to, fits MBP 15.4 & 17"
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=8EBE3D9F&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/notebook_cases&nplm=TN012

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't know many bags that will have enough room to carry 3 textbooks (I'm assuming pretty thick, 800+ page kind of books like mine) and a laptop (even if it's a Macbook and not a pro), but you will definitely need a backpack no matter what computer you get. With that kind of load you'll want to spread the weight over both shoulders, not just one shoulder like you'll have to with a messenger bag or the Incase bag recommended by someone else. If you can get a backpack, and one with enough room to fit all your stuff, you should be fine with the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 128MB 8600M GT
I carry my MBP with me to all of my classes every day. I use an Incase sleeve to protect it in my backpack.

From the back outwards I go binders, soft books, laptop in sleeve. That way the laptop isn't pressed up against my back, possibly smushing it. I dont think it's heavy at all and I'm not a 'big' person or anything but I am a "youngster" so maybe I just don't mind the weight. 18 y/o, 6'1 @ 165 lb and it doesn't phase me one bit.

Reaction score
i find that using a backpack is so much better on my shoulders. i carry it to school 3 days a week, programing classes.

Reaction score
I carry my 15" Powerbook (roughly the same size as a 15" MBP) in a Pinder THIN bag/sleeve - http://www.pinderbags.com/laptopbags.html

It's small enough to use as a sleeve inside of my messenger bag or to carry on it's own.

I'm a girl, 5'8", 140 lbs. and I've had no issue carrying the Pinder bag and a messenger bag. I think you'd have to be very out of shape to have a problem carrying your computer around all day, but that's just me. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
The weight difference between the MB and the 15" MBP really is not enough to notice IMO. Were talkin about a 6 pound computer...ive had text books that weighed more than that.

Reaction score
The macbook is heavier than the MBP.
This is right out of Apple's specs page. MacBook weighs in at 2.27 kg, whereas MacBook Pro is 2.45 kg.

They're both just as heavy as any 14" notebooks from Compaq or Dell. If you absolutely need your notebook to be light you'd be thinking of the Asus EEE PC, which isn't a bad choice at all if it comes with 8 gig SSD. Might even be able to install a hacked OS X on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I carry my 15 PB everyday to and from work. Live in NYC so I am on the train to and from the Bronx. A good bag is necessary!!!!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None Yet
powermacj7-what kind of bag do you use? Like I posted above I have a Chrome Messanger bag, the whole strap is EVA foam so its really well padded.
OT-How do you like NY NY? I'm considering moving up there after school.
My only concern was that it may not start out heavy but will end up so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Id go with a backpack style...trying to carry one of those messanger bags filled with textbooks and a laptop among other junk isnt any fun with something that goes over one shoulder.

Reaction score
It depends how much your also carrying. If its just the mac then you might be ok. I also have the 15" but I dont use it in class'. But when I do have to bring it around campus it can get pretty heavy. I couldn't imagine carry everyday around campus with textbook and notebooks. But a bag for it definitly helps and isn't that bad if its just the mac and a notebook or somethin.

Reaction score
I definitely tote my MBP everyday to and from work, planes, and hotels usually with a notebook or two. If I had to venture a guess it travels .5-1 mile daily. I swear by my timbuk2 messenger bag. I kinda bulked at first when the admin got one for me but after a few days I can really appreciate the design, features and ruggedness of these bags. You can also wear them two different ways across the chest or over the shoulder. I put on a phone case and grippy pad which fit on the wide strap its a great setup. I almost feel naked now w/o it because it goes everywhere with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
powermacj7-what kind of bag do you use? Like I posted above I have a Chrome Messanger bag, the whole strap is EVA foam so its really well padded.
OT-How do you like NY NY? I'm considering moving up there after school.
My only concern was that it may not start out heavy but will end up so.

I have a shoulder bag I use, the strap is very comfortable. NY is great of course to live, expensive, but always something to do!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I read somewhere on Apple's site (before I bought mine in September) that the MacBook Pro is the lightest 15" notebook on the market. I don't think it's heavy at all. It's only negligibly heavier than the MacBooks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.