Sound at startup

Reaction score
Is there a way to set my Macbook with Leopard to not turn up the volume halfway whenever i start it up?

Also, is there a way to stop the sound at startup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
You can stop the startup sound using tinkertool amongst other utilities My machine does not reset the volume to halfway so I can't help you with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
Try Psst or this system preference file. I'm using the latter on a MacBook running Leopard and it does its job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
At least on Tiger, if you simply mute the sound before you power off, you will not get the start up chime when you next power up. Of course at that point, you have no sound at all until you re-enable it.

Most people LIKE the start up chime. It is part of the charm of a Mac! I am guessing that you are new to the world of Macs? Give it a bit of time. I am hopeful that you will come to like it too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At least on Tiger, if you simply mute the sound before you power off, you will not get the start up chime when you next power up. Of course at that point, you have no sound at all until you re-enable it.

Most people LIKE the start up chime. It is part of the charm of a Mac! I am guessing that you are new to the world of Macs? Give it a bit of time. I am hopeful that you will come to like it too.

I have to disagree with you. It doesn't have anything to do with getting used to it. There's situations where you don't want to have a loud startup chime, like in the library, in class or when someone's sleeping and you need to use your computer. I've been a mac user my whole life and I can go without the chime at times. It's nice to be able to have that option without having to set the volume manually to silent before shutting down, so that the chime doesn't come on at the next startup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Good points 86Apex. I have to agree that there would be circumstances where a silent start up would be useful.

OP
R
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong... I really don't mind the charm, but when I start it up in class, teachers don't agree...

ooohhh... thanks for all the posts, i'll look through them later, but there's a lentil burger with my name on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I have to disagree with you. It doesn't have anything to do with getting used to it. There's situations where you don't want to have a loud startup chime, like in the library, in class or when someone's sleeping and you need to use your computer. I've been a mac user my whole life and I can go without the chime at times. It's nice to be able to have that option without having to set the volume manually to silent before shutting down, so that the chime doesn't come on at the next startup.

You have a laptop, why do you need to shut it down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have a laptop, why do you need to shut it down?

I'm just used to it. I don't like wasting the battery when I'm not actually using it despite how minuscule it might be.

Reaction score
How do I stop the startup sound using Tinker Tool?

You can stop the startup sound using tinkertool amongst other utilities My machine does not reset the volume to halfway so I can't help you with that.

I just downloaded tinker tool, but see no place to stop the startup sound. Can you help by telling me what to look for?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.