Printing woes

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have not used any of the Apple routers. After reading the main page for the Airport Express though, it seems to me that a printer connected to it will only be able to be shared to computers that are connecting wirelessly. I could very well be wrong, but it mentions nothing about this printer connection being able to be used by your other machines that are hard wired to the router.

Good questions to ask at the local Apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I had a problem with my HP printer too...someone on these boards gave me a link to something called a Gutenberg driver.

Prior to installing the driver, the printer was just printing jibberish...it's working fine now. It was very frustrating because Apple prides themselves with Mac's compatibility with everything and the first thing I tried failed to work.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Does anyone else have ideas about the airport extreme working with my pc desktop connected to the router and the printer being connected to the airport extreme. Will the desktop still work with the printer?

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Yipeeeeee

I was looking for another HP driver for my HP Deskjet 5740 and I just for the heck of it, put my wife's HP driver in....and bam! It works!!!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was looking for another HP driver for my HP Deskjet 5740 and I just for the heck of it, put my wife's HP driver in....and bam! It works!!!!

Great news!

What HP does your wife have? It might help someone else down the line.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Yup! My laptop works on the network, because her HP deskjet 952C is listed in the drivers section of HP on Leopard. Sweet! There must be many similar drivers in these little printers. The thing is....her printer is older than mine. Mine is only two years old, but Leopard doesn't have the 5740 driver. Her's is around 5 years old. Anyway....my printer is working just fine on the network. I would try another printer that is close to yours, or if you have the 5700 series...give the 952C a whirl!

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Printer news

For those that couldn't find the right printer for their wireless connection, I was able to install the printer that was my wife's, and bam...it locked right into my printer. There must be many common drivers on the HP printers. Although the icon isn't exactly like my printer....it shows my wifes.....it works just fine. So, I think that is a great solution for those that arn't able to find their match.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Printer issue

When I made my wireless connection, I asked to have my desktop HP to be recognized by my MBP. Going through the numerous HP Printers listed, mine wasn't included. I noticed that my wife's older HP was on the list, and I added that printer and driver, and it connected to my printer and everything works just fine. The icon is of her printer. The funny thing is....my printer is only 2 years old, but is not recognized. Does that seem unusual, and....is there a way to get my Mac to find my newer printer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What model HP is your new one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts
Please don't start new threads when you don't get the answer you want in existing threads on the subject.

You're making us reinvent the wheel rather than just working with us in existing threads.

Yes, please try to refrain from starting new threads every day and please use the ones you have already started.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I got a 500 Time Machine...lovely ... all works fine EXCEPT the wireless printing thing ... I can still hardwire my HP6210 into the macbook and it works fine but the wireless thing doesn't work... the printer status says printer ready/printing...it thinks about it for about 8 seconds. and then the status switches from printing to stopped.

have tried turning off the printer and the computer (in an attempt to reset everything...) .. what is weird is that I was jacking with it yesterday ... trying all kinds of combinations... it DID work *one* time.. don't know what I did to make that work.. but I did get it to work for one sheet.

but not now...

any thoughts..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.