MBP freezing after 10.4.11 update!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Ok im stressing a bit here, possibily unnecessarily...

I was downloading the 10.4.11 update last nite for my MacBook Pro (along with iTunes 7.5 update, Quicktime update and iDVD update) and when i restarted it it froze on the Apple logo and the little wheel just keeps going round and round. I tried booting in safe mode and got the same thing. I ran disk utility from the OS X installation disk and still it froze in the same place.

I was using Adium while the update was downloading :Oops: . Could this have caused any problems? Possibly with prebinding?

I've been reading around and apparently restarting can take ages after the update. How long are we talking about? 5 mins? 30mins? I dont know how long to leave it before i realise its frozen and not just taking its time to boot up.

Im using a MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo if that helps. Any help would be massively appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would say 5 minutes if that on an average machine. All my machines have 10.5 except one G4 Digital Audio. I upgraded that to 10.4.11. I would say it took 3 minutes to get to the desktop. Most point updates take a long time to boot the first time you reboot. How long did you give it?

It's not a good idea to have programs running when installing the update.

OP
Stefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Thanks for the reply dtravis7.

Err 10 minutes or so i guess - i left it for ages. After that i just assumed it had frozen so i tried booting up in safe mode, using disk utility etc and nothing seemed to solve it. Its a new MBP aswell only had it about 6 months or so. I'll cry if its broken already!!

Is there another way to run disk utility that doesnt require the OS X cd? I would try ringing Apples support line but i imagine they wont tell me anything i cant find out for myself here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2.33 GHz 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 200GB HD
If your OS wont boot, the update may have corrupted important system files. Isn't something like this only supposed to happen on windoze ;). You may just need to reinstall OS X. If you don't have a backup see if you can do an archive install. (I'm not sure if you can over the same system.) If not, and you really need something off of that HD, you can take it to an apple dealer and have them take out and backup your drive and help you with a clean install. Or if you feel comfortable enough, take it out yourself and put it in an external enclosure and plug it into another mac and retrieve your files.

OP
Stefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
If your OS wont boot, the update may have corrupted important system files. Isn't something like this only supposed to happen on windoze ;). You may just need to reinstall OS X. If you don't have a backup see if you can do an archive install. (I'm not sure if you can over the same system.) If not, and you really need something off of that HD, you can take it to an apple dealer and have them take out and backup your drive and help you with a clean install. Or if you feel comfortable enough, take it out yourself and put it in an external enclosure and plug it into another mac and retrieve your files.

Ok thanks for the reply. How would i do an archive install? What exactly is it? Sorry for the newbie questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An archive install will put your old system into a separate folder and reinstall a fresh system onto your HD, it will also take your old applications and user preferences into this new "cleaner" install. Just boot from your tiger dvd and go to install your OS. (Insert the disk, restart, and hold the C key) Instead of doing a normal upgrade (it wont let you do it anyways) go to advanced options and you should have 3 install options. Choose Archive install and make sure you check the option right below it so it will copy your applications and user preferences to your new install. Run the install, and it should all be good. Your old system folder will be in your HD and if everything seems to be fine you can delete it, as it will only take up HD space. I'm pretty sure you will be able to do an archive install, if not, you'll just have to do a clean install and lose all your personal files (unless you have them backed up). It is still wise to backup even before you do an archive install, just in case something goes wrong. Anyways, if you need anymore help, I can walk you through a little more on aim.

OP
Stefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
An archive install will put your old system into a separate folder and reinstall a fresh system onto your HD, it will also take your old applications and user preferences into this new "cleaner" install. Just boot from your tiger dvd and go to install your OS. (Insert the disk, restart, and hold the C key) Instead of doing a normal upgrade (it wont let you do it anyways) go to advanced options and you should have 3 install options. Choose Archive install and make sure you check the option right below it so it will copy your applications and user preferences to your new install. Run the install, and it should all be good. Your old system folder will be in your HD and if everything seems to be fine you can delete it, as it will only take up HD space. I'm pretty sure you will be able to do an archive install, if not, you'll just have to do a clean install and lose all your personal files (unless you have them backed up). It is still wise to backup even before you do an archive install, just in case something goes wrong. Anyways, if you need anymore help, I can walk you through a little more on aim.

Ok thats great. I wish i could do a back up before the archive install but like i said in my earlier posts, i cant get past the grey screen with the Apple logo and spinning wheel of doom.

Im gonna get onto Apple first thing tomorrow morning, see what they say - i appreciate the help but i want to try something a little less drastic if i possible. A clean re install is my LAST option and i want to avoid it at all costs! If they cant remedy the problem i'll try the archive install.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, here is a way you can backup. If you have another mac around, and a firewire cable. Turn off your macbook pro and connect it to your other mac via the firewire cable. Turn on your macbook pro and hold the T key on your keyboard, your macbook pro will go into firewire transfer mode (it will show the firewire logo on the screen) and on your other mac a hard drive will appear with all of your stuff from your macbook pro. If you don't have another mac, then remember this the next time you need to backup and you have another mac ;).

OP
Stefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Really? Thats amazing thanks Zedaine - very helpful! If it works i'll update the thread so other people can benefit from the advice. I've seen so many posts on other forums today with people complaining about the same problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.