Help Installing Lazarus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
Hi,

I just switched from Windows a few weeks ago, love my Mac Pro!! I'm learning Pascal at my school, and they are using Borland's Turbo Pascal on Windows. Obvioiusly, it's not available on mac.

So I did some research and came up with something called Lazarus which uses FreePascal.

So I downloaded the 3 DMG files. Got out my OS 10.5 disk, installed X11. Also installed something called fink. Then got the fink GUI called "fink commander". I also installed GTK+ , as well as cairo, Glib, Pango, and ATK.

So I think I did everything I had to. Took me awhile to figure out why it wasn't in my apps folder. Then i went looking around for /usr directory, couldn't figure out why it wasn't showing up in finder. Manually navigated to it.

Under /usr/local/share/lazarus when I double click Lazarus.app it doesn't open! Also I tried entering the following in Terminal, but that didn't work either.

Code:
 cd /usr/local/share/lazarus
 ./lazarus

---

Or else, I like a program I just installed called Smultron. Is there any way I could use that to edit the code, and then just run it using Pascal somehow?

I don't really need tons of features, I'm a new programmer. Pascal is only my second language (Turing was my first).

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
I noticed that you said in your post that you tried entering the command lines to start lazarus in 'Terminal'. If by that you mean the standard MAC OSX Terminal then you might get an error message about GTK interface not being available. Try opening the X11 interface first, mine can be opened from the Applications folder. You then get access to the X11 command interface called xterm - it should pop open just below the X11 Menu line - else its one of the few standard X11 Applications. If I enter the command lines into that lazarus starts in all of its 'sparse beauty'

Good luck - the first steps are always stumbling - was the same for me :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.