How can I clone MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
OK so I just got the news that I need to surrender my beloved company computer MacBook Pro. So I now have my brand new one and I want to clone all programs and files. If someone could tell me how to do that I'd be extremely thankful.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OK so I just got the news that I need to surrender my beloved company computer MacBook Pro. So I now have my brand new one and I want to clone all programs and files. If someone could tell me how to do that I'd be extremely thankful.

If the company purchased the computer and its accompanying software, it would be illegal to do what you suggest as the licenses belong to the company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
The easy way would be to swap the hard drives but thats just the engineer in me talking....

Alternatively fire up the new computer in TARGET mode: (this is a special mode that makes your computer simulate being an external drive)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

plug it into the old computer using a firewire cable and run disk utility then backup to external drive. Disconnect them and fire up the new computer, it should be the same as the old one. Then reinstall the old computer from its original restore disc. Job done....

HOWEVER - Do bear in mind the previous post. You must own the software in order to do this hence the restore step in the above instructions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2GHz 80GB
ok, why is everyone so anal about what's legal and what isn't. Im sure people are fully aware of the il/leagality of their actions, and it's their decision what they do. I'm not here to pass judgement on it, if they want to double license programs thats their call. And frankly, you'd be ignorant if you thought this sort of thing diddn't happen.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ok, why is everyone so anal about what's legal and what isn't. Im sure people are fully aware of the il/leagality of their actions, and it's their decision what they do. I'm not here to pass judgement on it, if they want to double license programs thats their call. And frankly, you'd be ignorant if you thought this sort of thing diddn't happen.

Because discussion of illegal activity is prohibited on this forum.

See: FORUM RULES

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.