Disappeared Photo Booth files

Reaction score
Hello newest community of mine. Do Photo Booth pictures automatically delete after a certain amount of time if they aren't re-saved or opened? Just went looking for Photo Booth pics i took a few months back, they've disappeared. Saw them in Pictures library in the last few weeks (was looking for something else so didn't open them). After being unable to find them today I opened Photo Booth to take a picture and see where it gets saved, new picture was in Pictures library but not the old ones. Any clues? I'm on os 10.4.10

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello newest community of mine. Do Photo Booth pictures automatically delete after a certain amount of time if they aren't re-saved or opened? Just went looking for Photo Booth pics i took a few months back, they've disappeared. Saw them in Pictures library in the last few weeks (was looking for something else so didn't open them). After being unable to find them today I opened Photo Booth to take a picture and see where it gets saved, new picture was in Pictures library but not the old ones. Any clues? I'm on os 10.4.10

I don't believe they expire or are automatically purged, at least none of the photos I've taken with mine have.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, querido.

Really strange problem you have because mine are all there since I started using the built-in iSight when I first got my iMac.

When did you notice they were gone? Did you make any changes in your user account? Did you install any new software or update?

OP
Q
Reaction score
the only things i've recently loaded are fonts. i've had a couple of instances since then where os has told me i need to re-start, for no apparent reason. subsequently i've found 'recovered files' folders in the trash but no pics in them.

OP
Q
Reaction score
there is a panic.log in library/logs. guess i'll be in touch with apple, don't know if this is connected to the disappeared (so sad!) photo booth pictures. thanks and i welcome any other ideas on how to get them back.

Reaction score
I have the same problem (running Leopard). I lost pictures from a while back, but I dont really know when... If anyone solved the problem in the mean time, I'd be glad to hear what to do. I had some precious children photos... Taken in September, I think. I noticed in December that they are gone, but it could be a long while back already... All the photos before that disappeared.

Reaction score
i too have the same problem. i just discovered today that a large portion of my photos taken prior to september 2008 have disappeared. if anyone learns anything about how to retrieve them, i'm all ears.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.