Ok, so to Install Leopard or Not Too? Fixes? Etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
I am contemplating installing Leopard either today or tomorrow....but so many people have had problems with it....should I wait? My Macbook is about 3 months old...1 Gig Ram......

Is there a page of fixes to remedy all of the issues with Leopard thus far?

I see that some have had great success and no issues at all...but the majority seem to be having some problems.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I guess I am one of the lucky ones, really have had no problems at all. The only issue if you want to call it one is the permissions take much longer to check and repair.

Good luck with your install.

Reaction score
Leopard runs smooth on my PowerBook G4. Only trouble I had was when trying to install. But other than that, everything runs good. AirPort seems to lag in out since I installed Leopard. If I was you, I'd wait for the update till I installed...but I like Leopard a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's generally people who are doing upgrades that are experiencing issues. If you really want to upgrade, use the Archive and Install option as that results in the least number of issues for people. Your best bet would be a Clean Install as there are practically no complaints from people who use that route.

Reaction score
I would say the majority are not having problems. I believe Apple has sold over 2 million copies of Leopard, so based on what we see here, only a small number of people have had problems. Don't forget that in general a post here is because someone is looking for help.

I am a fairly new Mac User. I installed Leopard by Archive and Install on a new iMac with no problems (Advice on this forum was helpful as I knew nothing about OSX or the Mac) I then installed Leopard on a Powermac G4 running OSX 10.2 with an Erase and Install and that went smooth as well.

For me at least, part of the fun is having to figure things out and learn about the system.

So, take the plunge, 10.5.1 should be out soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 120 GB HD
I installed Leopard on a three month old macbook about a week ago. I did an erase and install. No problems! Go for it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
I first did an archive & install on my iMac, went smoothly and operated well. Experienced a few bugs and kinks.

Decided to do an erase & install since Toast wasn't working properly. Since the erase & install I have had no problems. Operates very well, but Disk Permissions needs some attention, bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
but so many people have had problems with it.

Have they?

There's no reason NOT to get Leopard, unless you use a specific piece of software that won't run on it yet.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Speaking as one who has had problems with it.......................go for it, Leopard rocks!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
Thanks everyone...I will probably do the Archive install just to make sure. Although I use Toast as well...so maybe I should do the Erase Install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GHz Core Duo. 16Gb iPod Touch
erase and install means to start over like the day it was bought? it erases everything? music and photos and programs and everything?

oh and i only have 512 mem on my macbook right now, think thats ok?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That would be correct, Erase and install gets rid of everything and gives you a fresh copy. So you might want to perform a backup ;P

512MB of RAM was sort of on the low side for Tiger, you'll definitely want at least 1GB for Leopard (2GB is the sweet spot)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Erase and Install is your best bet IMHO. But as Kash says, do a backup of your personal data first.

For myself, I am hanging out on Tiger for a while longer. I am still reading reports of programs that are not compatible with Leopard, Mail instances that won't stop, permissions issues with the 10.5.1 update and so on. My personal advice, which I am personally following (!), would be to wait for a few months yet, and let Leopard settle in to a well shaken out form. It is not there yet.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Still have my bootable backup of Tiger. Am experimenting now with the 10.5.1 update for really the only issue I have.. Even if it is not corrected, am about ready to overwrite it with a Leopard back up now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.