Future of the G3

S

Solaris

Will iBooks have G4s soon? Will G3s get to 1GHZ? Now that G5s are out are we seeing the end of the G3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
this is a big worry among iBook users. i dont work at Apple, but seeing as IBM makes the newer G3 chips (700mhz and up) and are using a somewhat re-vamped architecture for them, i see Apple carrying out the life of the G3 before it would upgrade to a G4. They will probably get to 1GHz, then come up with a new style for the iBook and put the current G4 powerbook chip in it and upgrade the powerbook to a G5. these are only my predictions of course

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I see them calling the G3 something else... and upping the Mhz.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
My guess is a little different. I have an iBook 500Mhz and a 500Mhz Ti powerbook. The powerbook get much hotter. I don't know the limits of the G3. But it may be better reach the limit, because the hardware would have to change much. If the iBook moves to the G4, there would be some major changes made. At least IMO. I think the G3 still have some useful life left. It will be very interesting to see how Apple will change their product line.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Just occur to me. The G5 could be used only for the pro line of hardware. Whereas the G4 may be used in the consumer line of hardware. With that the G3 may be soon retired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
the only problem i see there, is that Motorola made the G4, where as IBM makes the G3 & G5. As odd as it sounds i still think Apple would update the G3, unless IBM re-vamps the G4. Motorola hasn't made any real updates to the G4 since the iMac 1Ghz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The G3 is actually an awesome chip. With IBM ramping speeds up to 1 ghz and beyond, I see it staying around for awhile. There are also rumors about a G3 with Altivec which would rock!

OP
N

nko

Does anyone see the price of iBooks dropping? I'd splurge on a laptop if it went for $1000 with more than 128 MB of RAM.

For that matter, does anyone have a Mac with 128 MB of RAM running OS X? If so, how is it?

Finally, I'm gathering that if I wanted to get a cool-running notebook, the G3 iBook seems to be the place to be. Is that about right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I hope the G3 iBook price drops! I want one sooo badly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.