Delete Jpeg files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 DP 1.8 160 Super Drive 17 " Display
Something happened when I went to copy from IPhoto to a folder on the desktop. Instead of copying to the folder it copied all 600 pictures on top of each other as a seperate file. The only way I can delete from the desktop is to drag individually to the trash the 600 photos. In MS Windows you could use a wildcard to delete but how can this be done in OSX?

Reaction score
I don't know about a wildcard command, but you could drag any files you wish to save into the hard drive, then press Command/Apple-key A (for Command All), then hit Command-Delete. This will put everything on the desktop except the hard drive into the trash.

But make sure you copied the pix, not moved them. If you did, you'll lose them all forever when you empty the trash.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
M

MacHeadCase

Wouldn't that command delete all jpg files from the internal hard drive? Wouldn't it be safer to tell to delete only the .jpg files on the desktop?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 DP 1.8 160 Super Drive 17 " Display
I don't want to delete all my photo's, only the 600 photos on the desktop. Remember the files are on top of each other and command click only drags one at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
From the terminal, in the correct folder

Code:
rm *.jpg

thats why you point the terminal to the correct folder, then run the command.
This way, it will only delete the photos from that folder.

To point to terminal to a folder: type in "cd " and then drag and drop the folder (in this case, the desktop) into the terminal window. (you will notice that the folders path will now be in the terminal) press enter, - then run the command rm *.jpg - this will remove all the .jpg's from your desktop

so it should look like:

Code:
****-*****-macbook-pro:~ NPuter$ cd /Users/NPuter/Desktop 
****-****-macbook-pro:Desktop NPuter$ rm *.jpg
- the astrics are where my name was ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.