Backing up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
My MBP's optical drive is being replaced, and the Mac genius said he would put Leopard on as a courtesy to me. The only problem is, he said he can't give me the disk. He told me about a carbon copy, but i don't know anything about it. Can anyone give any input on what he means?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My MBP's optical drive is being replaced, and the Mac genius said he would put Leopard on as a courtesy to me. The only problem is, he said he can't give me the disk. He told me about a carbon copy, but i don't know anything about it. Can anyone give any input on what he means?

I wouldn't allow him to upgrade you to Leopard without media - what would you do if you needed to reinstall or repair the OS in the future? How would you prove that you have a legal, licensed copy?

The software he's referring to is called Carbon Copy Cloner. I think he's trying to tell you to backup your system before you bring it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I'm with cwa107 on a "courtesy" installation of Leopard for both legal and technical reasons. I'll add too that Leopard installation problems have caused some people considerable grief. If/when you move to Leopard, you should do it when you're ready to deal with all of the potential migration issues, including reinstallation.

Have them replace the optical and tell them to leave the rest of the machine just as it is.

M

MacHeadCase

Yep that's my opinion as well. There seems to be lots of potential issues with Leopard: your Mac is doing ok as is. Enjoy it and when patches start being released, buy it: you'll have the install disks to reinstall if anything should go wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.