How do I get my "End" key to work the way it should?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I have an Apple wireless keyboard, the old kind. It's great except in Apple applications the End key doesn't work the way it should. What it should do is take the curser to the end of a line, but in Safari, for example, it does the same function as the Page Down key. In Office applications it works correctly, but that just makes it more annoying when I naturally try to use it in an Apple app and get a totally different response.

Is there something similar to keyboard mapping in OS X where I can set the key to do what it's supposed to?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Hold down the Apple button and end button together.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It sounds to me like your End key is doing EXACTLY what it is supposed to do on a Mac. On a PC, the End key moves the cursor to the end of the line. On a Mac, it moves it to the end of the document. Ditto for the Home key: on a PC, start of the line. On a Mac, start of the document.

Reaction score
I never use the End or Home keyz ... I position the cursor just near the top of the scroll bar sliding area or just near the bottom and watch the blue scroll bar shoot up/down lightning fast! I rarely use the up/down arrows either cos they go slow .... and I'm not bothered to find out if that's customable ... I wonder if anyone uses their Home/End keys to do what they are designed to do on the Mac as opposed to on a Win-D'Oh's PC. It seems that moving the cursor to the end of the current line or beginning/end of a word is very popular a task and maybe the other function (start/end of Doc) is becoming redundant? I don't know, though, jus' wonderin' ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 GHz 2GB + iPod shuffle
I'm still confused sometimes with Home and End keys with my iMac. Having used them in PC for 18+ years leaves it marks. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The mac equivalents for end/home is command+right/Command+left

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, I can't believe someone actually gave me negative rep for posting this question! To that person, I never said the "windows way" was the right way and the "Mac way" was the wrong way. I simply want my end key to perform the same function no matter what program I'm in. I guess I should have said "the way I want it to" instead of "the way it should", but I didn't think it was that big of an issue as to give me negative rep. I just didn't know that the End key served a different function on Macs, especially since it essentially does the same thing as the Page Down key; making it redundant. You could have simply mentioned it in a response.

I often use the End key to go to the end of a line. The biggest reason is I'm a terrible typist, so sometimes I go back in a line to fix a typo. Instead of having to lift my hand from the keyboard and use the mouse to reposition the curser, or hit the arrow key until it gets there, I like to use the end key.

I didn't realize I was coming off as a windows fanboy for asking a simple question, but I guess some Mac fanboy with a stick up his you know what felt that way. I apologize for my apparent and shameful Mac ignorance. I will sell my MBP immediately and go back to the "Windoze" world. Get over it!!!

It sounds to me like your End key is doing EXACTLY what it is supposed to do on a Mac. On a PC, the End key moves the cursor to the end of the line. On a Mac, it moves it to the end of the document. Ditto for the Home key: on a PC, start of the line. On a Mac, start of the document.

This is a reasonable response to my message without negative rep. After reading this, I realized my misunderstanding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I did not and would not leave bad rep for that. However, based on the title of the thread, my first impression was that you meant it should work the same way as Windows and that anything else was wrong. I know you did not mean it that way, but the perception was certainly that.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Honestly, I wasn't 100% sure if it was acting that way because it was supposed to or if there was some issue with the keyboard.

Anyway, I know now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
End key is not redundant of the PageDown key. They serve different purposes. Anyway, I'm comfortable with my Command+Left key combo...

Reaction score
lovethisthread-20071118-001659.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.