Spaces not totally working...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
So, I have a MacBook Pro running Leopard.

I have reassigned the Spaces keyboard shortcut to F11 (since F11 and F12 are the only F-Keys not assigned to do an alternative task such as screen or keyboard brightness, volume, etc.)

Sometimes, if I have a lot of apps open, the F11 key doesn't do anything, HOWEVER, the ctrl+Up/Down/Left/Right still works. I just can't see the overview of all my Spaces.

Anyone know how to fix the glitch? The only thing I have found that fixes it is rebooting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
I believe the default key is F8, but it might be different on an MacBook Pro, or any notebook.

The first thing I would do is double check your settings.

1. Go to Apple (extreme top left of your screen, beside "file")
2. System Preferences...
3. Under Personal heading, choose "Expose and Spaces"
4. Choose the "Spaces" tab.
5. under "To activate spaces", it should say F8 (the default), or F11 (what you set it to. You can change this to various keyboard keys to use as a shortcut to access spaces.

I'm thinking that it's just a minor glitch and that by changing the settings in spaces, it will "go away". Maybe try setting it back to F8 and see if you are still having the issue.

and I just noticed that you're a fellow Canadian!

Hope this works!

OP
KamileonX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe the default key is F8, but it might be different on an MacBook Pro, or any notebook.

The first thing I would do is double check your settings.

1. Go to Apple (extreme top left of your screen, beside "file")
2. System Preferences...
3. Under Personal heading, choose "Expose and Spaces"
4. Choose the "Spaces" tab.
5. under "To activate spaces", it should say F8 (the default), or F11 (what you set it to. You can change this to various keyboard keys to use as a shortcut to access spaces.

I'm thinking that it's just a minor glitch and that by changing the settings in spaces, it will "go away". Maybe try setting it back to F8 and see if you are still having the issue.

and I just noticed that you're a fellow Canadian!

Hope this works!

Well i know spaces is active and working because ctrl+Up/Down/Left/Right works... it's just the overview shortcut that doesn't work. I've also noticed when it doesn't work, it makes a sound notification (like an error sound).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
spaes seems to pull up windows i dont want up, or move windows to other spaces by itself, me no likey

OP
KamileonX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems to happen less often now that 10.5.2 is out. Still happens every so often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.