Leopard JDK 1.6 Support?

Reaction score
I just bought my first mac book pro. I've upgraded the OS to 10.5 Leopard. This version only has Java 1.5 on it. I'm a Java developer and it's pretty important to have JDK 1.6 installed. Where can I find the installation for this? If this isn't supported, why wouldn't it be? Thanks in advance!

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
There is no JDK 1.6 for the Mac platform as yet.

OP
D
Reaction score
does anyone have any inside information on when 1.6 will be released for mac. I just got a mac last week and don't really know their release schedule but I would imagine that this is an important issue to other Java developers. Anyone else concerned on this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I have no idea. But considering Jobs earlier this year said. “Java’s not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It’s this big heavyweight ball and chain”, I wouldn't expect it soon.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Nobody uses Java anymore.

He really should do a bit more research, Java is everywhere including in the Mars rover.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
According to some reports I've read, they're definitely still working on Java support and will add it in at some point.

It's disapppointing it's taking Apple this long and I think they might be better off turning it back over to Sun to develop.

Also check this out:
http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/2007/11/19

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
He really should do a bit more research, Java is everywhere including in the Mars rover.

Agreed. He's treating Java as a second-class citizen, and it's a bit Microsoft-y if you ask me. "Use our stuff or go away."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
First off any Vista user has to downgrade to 1.5 to use Java. So why on Earth is Apple being harpooned over this. Java 6 just came out and people are up in arms over it not being supported by Apple. Yet here we are discussing 1.5 so what does that say about the community at large? Microsoft is pushing Visual programming via C# more than Java, heck the major support is still VB with Microsoft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I have no idea. But considering Jobs earlier this year said. “Java’s not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It’s this big heavyweight ball and chain”, I wouldn't expect it soon.

News to me. I remember a major online music store used to be powered by Java, via WebObjects. And some computer company used to run their online store the same way. The computer company never had much market share, though. I guess they've gone out of business. Or maybe they switched to ASP.NET. ;D

OP
D
Reaction score
First off any Vista user has to downgrade to 1.5 to use Java. So why on Earth is Apple being harpooned over this. Java 6 just came out and people are up in arms over it not being supported by Apple. Yet here we are discussing 1.5 so what does that say about the community at large? Microsoft is pushing Visual programming via C# more than Java, heck the major support is still VB with Microsoft.

I don't do visual programming with Java. I use it for serverside programming and there are lots of libraries that have 1.6 requirements. Also, I have a another computer running Vista Ultimate that runs Java 6 just fine. Where did you get that information?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
Several developers on-site have had to go back to 1.5. It also could be a difference in Vista packages as well, I cannot confirm if they all use Ultimate although one would assume. I understand the server side requirements, but I was of the understanding that 1.5 would work. what is it you are working with?

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm a developer for the Red5 project, but in general new JDK's are released because they offer features that previous JDK's don't provide. I don't think anyone should have to justify the significance of supporting the latest JDK. It would be extremely naive for apple to think we don't care about the upgrade.

OP
D
Reaction score
Just saw this over at MacRumors: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=402472

"Apple has seeded developers with two updates tonight.

The first is the Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C7) update which lists fixes to 76 distinct issues. Bug fixes range from memory leaks, various printing issues, SMB support and more. Apple issued Mac OS X 10.5.1 in November and has recently updated retail copies of Leopard to include the full 10.5.1 version. A Page 2 rumor pegs the Mac OS X 10.5.2 final release at Macworld Expo in January.

Next, Apple has finally seeded Java SE 6 Preview 8 for Leopard. Apple had been secretive about the Java 6 support for Leopard and the product launch was met with disappointment amongst Java developers hoping for support for the latest version. Tonight's release provides an implementation of Sun's Java SE 6 for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and includes Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_01. This latest seed requires a 64-bit capable Intel-powered Mac and is described as having received only limited testing thus far.

Article Link
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=402472"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
http://developer.apple.com/

Make an account if you don't already have one (it's free), and Click on the "Downloads" link after you sign in. The first one on the list (most recent one) should catch your eye. If it's not there when you read this, click on the "Java" link after going to "Downloads." I hope your MacBook Pro is Core 2 Duo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.