Installed Leopard and now I can't get past the Gray Screen

Reaction score
I have an iBook g4 14" display.. the one that came out right before the intel macbooks. I installed Leopard and went through the entire process.. once it was done installing it said i had to restart my computer before continuing.. i clicked the restart button (which popped up in window telling me that the software had successfully been installed and to click restart).. my computer restarted and won't get past the gray screen w/the apple logo and the spinning wheel.. i tried the whole command, option, p, r and still no luck.. i also tried the reset: shift, control, option, power.. didn't work.. is there any way to fix my computer or is it worthless now..? please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
how did you install? upgrade, A&I, or E&I?

OP
jeanettet
Reaction score
i know it wasn't e&i.. i think it was just an upgrade.. whatever's recommended

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you might want to try an erase and install, alot of people had have trouble with the upgrade install.

OP
jeanettet
Reaction score
how can i erase and install if i can't get past the gray screen? also, if i do re-install should i erase & install the next time around?
thanks for your quick help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can you boot from the CD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hold down C as it boots.

OP
jeanettet
Reaction score
ok thanks! i will try this once i get off of work. once it boots do i install and erase?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, select the erase and install option.

OP
jeanettet
Reaction score
it worked! except i noticed that iphoto is gone.. i'm not sure if any other apps are missing but i use iphoto a lot and it's completely gone! any help????

Reaction score
Hmm, hope you have a backup, you probably should have done an archive and install, although that option might not be available for an iBook.

it worked! except i noticed that iphoto is gone.. i'm not sure if any other apps are missing but i use iphoto a lot and it's completely gone! any help????

OP
jeanettet
Reaction score
not many option's available.. i was just told to erase and install.. i only have the first disc.. or at least that's what i think.. let me list the CDs i do have.. hah sorry.. note: my first mac was a 17" iMac which i got (still have) around late 2003.. so i have every one of those discs.. which are mixed in w/my sisters discs who go her iMac a year before me, late 2002.. confusing, yes?
iMac: Software Restoration 1-4: Mac OS Versions 10.1.5, 9.2.2 Version 1
iMac: Mac OS X Install Version 10.1.4
iMac: Applications CD Version 1.5
iBook G4: Mac OS X Disc 1 Mac OS Version: 10.4.2 AHT Version: 2.5 Disc Version: 1.0
Mac OSX Install Disc 2 Disc Version: 1.3
pleeeeease let me know if there's anything i can do!! there must be some sort of solution!

Reaction score
Isn't iPhoto part of the iLife suite of applications?

I always thought so, and if that's the case, then you must have an iLife CD floating around there somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Disks that Came with Your Computer

Put in iBook G4: Mac OS X Disc 1 Mac OS Version: 10.4.2 AHT Version: 2.5 Disc Version: 1.0 and Select Install Bundled Apps only select Iphoto and let it install and you will get it back, It worked for me

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.