sync iphone and imac

Reaction score
hey guys... i have one quick question...

I have an iphone that has all my contacts stored in it.... (phone numbers, email, addresses, etc...) and I recently bought an iMac, but I don't have any of this information stored in it.

My question is, how can I sync my iphone with to my iMac without erasing the info in the iphone. I don't want my system to think that since the imac is empty it should erase every contact in the iphone. I just want to transfer everything from iphone and have a copy on imac.

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Where is the computer that you originally synced/activated the iPhone with? If it is a Mac, you can go into THAT Mac's address book, click File->Backup Address Book, then transfer the resulting file to your new iMac. Open up address book on the new iMac, File->Restore from Backup (Or whatever the option is called), and then you'll have all your contacts there. Now you can sync your iPhone with the new iMac without worrying about erasing and starting over.

If the original computer used to activate was a PC, go into Outlook and export the whole address book in .vcf format, email it to yourself, save the attachment onto desktop on iMac, go into address book, and import the desktop-saved file from there. You should have all your contacts, fairly unaltered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.