Internet slow (FIOS) on Imac with both Safari and Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo 10.5.8
Configuring the airport?

. If you're Airport Connected, it'll show up that way by being highlighted. Now click on the Advanced button. Click on DNS.
Add these settings in for Primary DNS and Secondary DNS:

Primary = 208.67.222.222
Second = 208.67.220.220

Thanks Mac people! I was on the phone with Verizon after my downloads were coming in between 8 and 20 kps. They were totally useless and said annoying things like "have you checked the wires are fully plugged in?":Angry-Tongue:

I changed the DNS for the ethernet and it definately improved. My question now is the airport. When I open the DNS tab there is a grayed out 10.0.1.1. I can add the above numbers but it doesn't seem to want to used them, preferring the 10.0.1.1.

I monkeyed around with airport utility...creating new networks, restoring to factory settings etc. But I'm not sure how to get rid of that 10.0.1.1.

Sorry for the dumb questions. Network stuff is beyond me.:Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Disregard the grayed out numbers as they are either for your router or another device.

If you're using one of Verizon's newer routers, i.e. the ActionTech series with built in NIM (network interface module) then it's likely the DNS settings are locked to Verizon. Unfortunately, these sophisticated newer routers have no way to "write" in your own DNS settings and will default to whatever Verizon has for DNS servers in your area.

If you are not using FIOS TV, you don't need the built in network interface module that comes with the ActionTech router. If that's your situation, you can remove the ActionTech and use another router that allows setting up your own DNS servers. (most routers allow this)

If you do have FIOS TV, you must use the ActionTech router otherwise you will not have access to the Guide or Pay for View options. However, I would go ahead and try to set in those DNS settings anyway as I pointed out in the other post.

Regards.

Reaction score
It works

Finally got things working. Very simple solution. Why nobody knows this, i don't know. Go to System preferences > Network > Built in ethernet and in the DNS Server field enter 4.2.2.5. Apply and close and restart. This worked for me after days of searching for an answer and on the phone with Verizon. Try it out and see if it works for you. Good Luck.
I also had this problem also and it worked like a charm for me. I had tried many things and was very frustrated. Hope it lasts!

Reaction score
Start From here: my internet very slow speed mac

I also had this problem also and it worked like a charm for me. I had tried many things and was very frustrated. Hope it lasts!

Start From here: my internet very slow speed mac.
Slow internt can by because DNS problem OR app ,
Start from Console -> All Messages,
In my case I found a program HideMyIp (hidemyipdaemon {errXXX})
I remove the program and fix the problem!!

Good Luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.