Stupid, probably blindingly obvious, question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Do iPods skip?

The only reason I ask this is because the specs show the iPod having up to 25 minute anti skip protection. Does that mean that it skips without the feature enabled?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have never had it skip on me.
You can't disable the anti-skip on it
I think the only way it could skip is if for 25 straight minutes all you did was have the thing shaking

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I've had it skip on me once. Never happened again, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Rediculous! Sony CD Players had the RAM based fix to CD playing fixed! Oh Yeah Apple misses that! Oh Please

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I kid you not witeshark, my iPod did indeed skip.

N

nwilcox

witeshark said:
Rediculous! Sony CD Players had the RAM based fix to CD playing fixed! Oh Yeah Apple misses that! Oh Please

dude...learn how to spell

M

MoltenLava

iPod should never skip due to the shock. It has enough buffer to withstand 10 minutes of earthquake tremor. It may skip or stop playing a song when it detects encoding error, or if the size of the song exceeds certain length. On my iPod mini the music cuts off at certain point if the size exceeds 12MB or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
The iPod will sometimes freeze if you jolt it at the instant it tries to load a new song or songs into memory, which is once every 20-25 minutes or so. So for runners this is sometimes a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
MoltenLava said:
iPod should never skip due to the shock. It has enough buffer to withstand 10 minutes of earthquake tremor. It may skip or stop playing a song when it detects encoding error, or if the size of the song exceeds certain length. On my iPod mini the music cuts off at certain point if the size exceeds 12MB or so.

I have never seen this problem with the regular iPods....A majority of my songs are 30-45 mb and I have had no problems with them

P

pitythefool

The 'anti-skip' of iPods is quite different from anti-skip in CDs, just because of the way data is read from the source.

In a CD, data is 'continually' read from the disc, and so jolting the player causes the reading to be interrupted, resulting in an audible 'skip'. Anti-Shock mechanisms on CDs work by grabbing larger 'chunks' of data at a time, and then playing from RAM, which, due to its non-mechanical nature, is not influenced by jolts in the same way. Because the data is stored in RAM, it eats more battery, which is why you can usually disable the feature, if you're sat at a desk for example.

In an iPod, the data is read from the hard-drive within the device, and because it is stored in a (compressed) media format (MP3, AAC or whatever), it usually needs more processing anyway (I think - my knowledge starts to fall down a bit). Anyway, the songs are stored in RAM, and the iPod can store a few there at a time, resulting in less HD access. (This is why you'll generally get better battery-life if you listen to albums at a time, because the HD requires less 'jumping-around' to get at the tracks it needs.) So most of the running of the iPod is from the RAM, which is non-mechanical and therefore not affected by jolts. It's only at the point where the iPod reads data from the HD that it is susceptible to 'mechanical' jolts, and seeing as it will usually try to queue things up before it needs to access them, it's usually not noticable. Hence you'll notice the HD spinning up every now-and-then through an album - most likely half-way through a song.

I've prolly made quite a few mistakes here, I kind of know 'how' these things work in principle, but without intracate knowledge of the situation.

C

Cloudane

Surely it'd be a good idea never to need the skip protection, as if it skips then that'd mean the head wobbled and possibly damaged the drive's surface.

OP
Mojo027
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Another question:
Can you change fonts on the iPods? Namely the iPod mini, they shouldn't have made the font bold for that thing, the screen is too small.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.