How to transfer my music from one Mac to another in OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.0GHz, intel core 2
So I am about to by a new Imac and was curious about how to get the 20 gigs of music from my old Emac onto the newer Imac.

Sorry if the query has been answered a thousand times but I just don't have the time to search through this forum looking for the precise answer. I appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Well, there are a few different ways, If the eMac has FireWire then you can use that. There's also via a Network connection .... and maybe another way that I can't think of.

Have you heard of Firewire Target Disc Mode?

OP
Jeffronomicon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I've never heard of it before. Looks like it will do the trick though. I'm not very tech savvy at all. I just know I love Macs because they always work. I've been using windows laptops for about two years because they were around. I feel like a bull in a china shop though.

Reaction score
If you need any further help, there's always someone here .... as long as your Macs meet the requirements as per that Apple link, then the rest is pretty straightforward.

One thing to remember is make sure you unmount the "Guest" Mac from the "Host's" Desktop before disconnecting the cable. Pretty much as you do an iPod or External HD.

OP
Jeffronomicon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spawn__Dooley;526803 said:
If you need any further help, there's always someone here .... as long as your Macs meet the requirements as per that Apple link, then the rest is pretty straightforward.

One thing to remember is make sure you unmount the "Guest" Mac from the "Host's" Desktop before disconnecting the cable. Pretty much as you do an iPod or External HD.

OK so I was able to do the music transfer and everything went great. I think I may have improperly ended the transaction because my emac will no longer start up. I get a message in several different languages telling me I must restart the computer. I do, and I get the same message again. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am able to get it back into TDM for file transfer though.

OP
Jeffronomicon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK so I was able to do the music transfer and everything went great. I think I may have improperly ended the transaction because my emac will no longer start up. I get a message in several different languages telling me I must restart the computer. I do, and I get the same message again. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am able to get it back into TDM for file transfer though.

Don't all jump up at once...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Don't all jump up at once...

This is a forum, not your dedicated personal troubleshooting assistance center.

Your machine is experiencing Kernel Panics, but I have no idea why.

Reaction score
Would it be possible to use a computer in target disk mode for Time Machine backups? How much room on the HDD would be necessary?

OP
Jeffronomicon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a forum, not your dedicated personal troubleshooting assistance center.

Perhaps I am mistaken. I was under the distinct impression that it was. I think I read that during the sign up process.

OP
Jeffronomicon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would it be possible to use a computer in target disk mode for Time Machine backups? How much room on the HDD would be necessary?

I believe I can. It would be counter productive though since the new mac has more on it than my old one can hold.

OP
Jeffronomicon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So here is a new question. I decided to pull out the old emac and see if I can't get her going again. I started her up in target disk mode because that all she can do at the moment. I then took everything off of her and emptied it into the trash of my current iMac. So now when I start her up she doesn't get the kernel panic message. She just does the little file with the blinking question mark and mac os symbol. Does anyone know if I can re-install some version of OSX and use the computer again or have I finally destroyed the old girl?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.