upgrading RAM, what brand is better for aluminum iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alu iMac 20" 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB 10.5.1
hey there, i recently bought an aluminum iMac and I'm considering upgrading the RAM to 2 gigs. My question is what brand of RAM is known to work better with the iMacs i thought of getting crucial 1Gb dm, OWC or Samsung, all of them cost about the same...
Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
Have had good success with Crucial, no complaints on the others. I thin my last RAM was Transcend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Apple actually use Samsung and Kingston memory, so I'd got for them, although it shouldn't make any difference. Crucial's working fine in my machine, coupled with a Samsung stick.

Reaction score
OWC Ok

I purchased and installed 4 G of OWC memory in an alu imac; no issues.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys, I ordered a 1gb stick from crucial 40 bucks with 2nd day shipping!!
Its supposed to arrive on thursday. I thinks its a great deal since I only use my computer to surf the web, chat, ocassional homework and music. I just wanted it to be more responsive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
thanks guys, I ordered a 1gb stick from crucial 40 bucks with 2nd day shipping!!
Its supposed to arrive on thursday. I thinks its a great deal since I only use my computer to surf the web, chat, ocassional homework and music. I just wanted it to be more responsive.

You know that to get the best speed RAM needs to be installed in matched pairs right. Also, the iMac ships with 2 512MB sticks which means that you will have to remove 1 512MB stick to add your 1GB stick which will give you 1.5GB total. If you want 2GB you will have to order another 1GB stick. It also needs to be the same stick you previously ordered to take advantage of its full speed.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know that to get the best speed RAM needs to be installed in matched pairs right. Also, the iMac ships with 2 512MB sticks which means that you will have to remove 1 512MB stick to add your 1GB stick which will give you 1.5GB total. If you want 2GB you will have to order another 1GB stick. It also needs to be the same stick you previously ordered to take advantage of its full speed.

mmm i. dont think so dude, I checked the specs online and the slots on my mac, both indicate that it includes ONE SO-Dimm that is 1gb. You probably got confused with the macbook, the macbook has 2x512Mb sticks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz iMac Core 2 Duo with 2.5 gigs of RAM
Yeah, Apple moved to a single 1 gig stick with the new iMacs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Apple recommended me to RamJet if i wasn't getting Apple branded ram. The Genius at the store swore by them. I asked about the other usual sites and he told me RamJet over all the other ones. I havent had any issues with mine at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Reaction score
My iMac has the twin 512mb sticks and I want to upgrade to 2Mb. I've seen the Samsung ones on ebay and they are cheap (from Hong Kong). Some here,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAMSUNG-1GB-DDR2-PC2-5300-667-1-G-GB-PC-MEMORY-RAM-UK_W0QQitemZ270185887369QQihZ017QQcategoryZ172QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Are these right for my 2.16G 20 inch dual core.
Have they got 200 or 240 pins.

Not really that cheap if you include the shipping(which is more expensive than the stick!).

If in doubt,use Crucial like I did.Reasonably priced,quick delivery,and they even have a search engine on their site so you can find the right memory for your specific Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
mmm i. dont think so dude, I checked the specs online and the slots on my mac, both indicate that it includes ONE SO-Dimm that is 1gb. You probably got confused with the macbook, the macbook has 2x512Mb sticks.

You're right. You would think apple would want to take advantage of the higher speeds achieved by using RAM in matched pairs. Oh well, my bad, sorry for the miscommunication.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Cheers adox I've ordered two one gig sticks from them and they were very reasonable, and having read the posts about them on the forum they seem very reliable. Only problem now is I will be left with two 512 mb sticks that are useless to me. Anyone want them.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just installed the 1 gb stick I ordered from crucial, this thing runs sweet!!!
You really can tell the difference.

Reaction score
Apple actually use Samsung and Kingston memory, so I'd got for them, although it shouldn't make any difference. Crucial's working fine in my machine, coupled with a Samsung stick.

i dont know if this has already been covered, but, apple does not use any particular brand of ram except for the cheapest.

i just opened my new 24" 2.4 and it had one dimm of hynix. which is what my hp laptop had, and my macbook. this is generic crap.

which leads to the real point..

memory is not brand specific, only company specific. a bigger name will have a better return policy, there's no real quality difference. buy the cheap ram and sit back.

(upgrade to 4gb on newegg for about $120, $100 if you buy the same set as 2 seperate dimms instead of a pair)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
Memory brand that offers a 'Lifetime Warranty' sells me such as these guys:

www.datamem.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
I just took advantage of that G Skill deal at NewEgg and ordered 2, 2gig sticks for my iMac. I sent the link to my father in law for his MBP as well. G Skill is a great company and I trust their products as much as Crucial, Mushkin, etc. 4 gigs for under 80$ after rebates is a great deal. I cant wait.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.