OK, ready to go with my new iMac but...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Ready to go with my new iMac but got a few questions

Hi,

I finally made up my mind and picked-up an iMac 24, 2.4GHz today along with an extra Gig or Ram (Kingston), the new AirPort Extreme Base Station and a Firewire cable to transfer data from my older 17" iMac (Intel, 1.83GHz).

Tomorrow morning, I'll be setting everything up but was wondering about the following:

Is installing the RAM the same as on the iMac 17? Unscrew a small plate in the bottom and insert the stick in the empty slot till it clicks into place?

Transferring data and apps: I'll set up the 2 iMacs side by side, plug the Firewire cable and what happens next, does a transfer utility fire up or do I have to launch something? Can I only transfer what I want (apps, documents, keychain, bookmarks, certain preferences, etc.)?

Airport extreme: my iMac 24 will be hard-wired to it whereas the 17 will be going to another room, what do I have to configure or is that done automatically? I'll also be plugging in my printer in the USB port for both Macs to share, any tips on setting that up?

Cheers,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Hi,

I finally made up my mind and picked-up an iMac 24, 2.4GHz today along with an extra Gig or Ram (Kingston), the new AirPort Extreme Base Station and a Firewire cable to transfer data from my older 17" iMac (Intel, 1.83GHz).

Tomorrow morning, I'll be setting everything up but was wondering about the following:

Is installing the RAM the same as on the iMac 17? Unscrew a small plate in the bottom and insert the stick in the empty slot till it clicks into place?

Transferring data and apps: I'll set up the 2 iMacs side by side, plug the Firewire cable and what happens next, does a transfer utility fire up or do I have to launch something? Can I only transfer what I want (apps, documents, keychain, bookmarks, certain preferences, etc.)?

Airport extreme: my iMac 24 will be hard-wired to it whereas the 17 will be going to another room, what do I have to configure or is that done automatically? I'll also be plugging in my printer in the USB port for both Macs to share, any tips on setting that up?

Cheers,
Gene

I can't tell you about the RAM, but here's what I've got.

When you're doing the transfer:
• Set them side by side.
• Plug in the Firewire.
• Restart the old computer while holding down T until you see the screen change with the Firewire symbol.
• On your new computer, go to HD > Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant. It will walk you through everything. You get to choose what you want to transfer... to a point.

May I ask why you wouldn't just have both computers communicating wirelessly with the Airport Extreme?

Either way, you will have to set up your Airport Preferences. If your printer is plugged into your Airport, you should be able to just find the Printer on your computer and use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
the users guide that comes with tthe imac should have a diagram on how to replace the ram. if not, go the the apple website and click on the support link on the top right of the page. rummage through there and you should be able to find what you need.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Thank you all, everything went great!

Ordered Leopard and that'll be the next step, hope I can keep my data when installing it...

Cheers,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 2GB ram, ATI HD2600 PRO, 320gb HDD
Yes the ram has a plate on the bottom. Pull the screw insert ram press till it doesnt go anymore. Mine didn't click (I couldn't stand 1gb put an extra, 4gb coming soon) But It worked, couldn't be easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.