My Systems Preferences windows won't open to the correct size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.00Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
Picture1-9.png

The picture explains all, the windows aren't wide enough for not only this part of Systems Preferences; but all others.

How can you remedy this? There is no obvious way.

Reaction score
I had the same problem after a simple upgrade. The system was slow overall and unimpressive.

Did a clean install and all the problems went away. I would highly recommend doing a clean install if you did an upgrade.

Hope you get it sorted out

OP
Starky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No way, I paid £60 to upgrade my OS, not to start from scratch.

I already have BootCamp with Vista set up and have made lots of little tweaks to my system that I doubt I will have the time to do again.

Anyone with any information on how to fix this bug?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would also recommend a clean install, or at least an archive and install instead of the upgrade.

Also, a clean install will do nothing to your Bootcamped partition as long as you don't mess with it during the install. My Bootcamp Assistant died a month before Leopard came out, and still was able to boot into windows during that time and after a clean install of Leopard.

Anyone with better ideas, can of course jump in at any time.

And you could try something I try almost everytime I have any issue now. Create a new user and check to see if it is system wide or not. Still, some issues I had related to my user account under Tiger were never repaired until I installed Leopard. I just put up with logging in to the other account.

OP
Starky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem is system-wide, not doing a clean install.

Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Create a new user with admin privileges, then log into that user and see if the problem recurrs. Holler back and we'll go from there.

OP
Starky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I thought that my last post made it clear that I had already tried that when I said that the problem is system-wide

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Well without doing an archive and install I really can't think of anything that will help you. Maybe try repairing disk permissions. You do understand that with archive and install that you will still have all your files, applications, and settings saved. It would still look like you did a simple upgrade but it could solve most of your problems.

Reaction score
Well, if the problem doesn't annoy you that much, then don't do a clean install. When i got leopard I told myself "I KNOW this is a new release. There ARE going to be bugs." After the clean install though, I have very few issues. Impressive.

I would still highly recommend a clean install to anyone. Just get super duper of CCC. Ok fair enough, I dedicated a saturday to reinstalling and configuring. I have saved the time lost in the reinstall a hundred times over though.

You can stop being a hardass and reinstall, or wait for apple to fix it. If someone else have a fix it would be very interesting to hear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
No, that wasn't clear at all. Actually my bad... I see now that someone had suggested that and you were responding to them. Oopsie. :Oops:

Anywho... in all probability there is a problem somewhere in the root library, which also is migrating to the user libraries as they are created. First thing I would do is delete the preference file for the System Preferences from /Library/Preferences and then from the User libraries (put a backup copy first in some other folder). I don't know the exact filename offhand and am at work on a Windoze comp, but see if you can try that and let's see if that works. If not, there's some more radical things to try but those will create a lot of extra work and possible trouble for ya so let's save those for now.

Oh yes.... what's your display resolution set to?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.