Target disk mode install

Reaction score
I have two macs - a Macbook (OS X Tiger) and an iMac G3 (running OS 9.2.2), I recently purchased on Ebay. I have been trying for a few days to install the Tiger DVD on my iMac, using it in TDM and installing Tiger using my macbook (because the iMac ony has a CD Drive). For some reason the iMac won't mount on my macbook - it isn't even recognized. Has anybody else encountered this issue?

I'm thinking it might a faulty firewire cable issue, but I'd like to exhaust all other possibilities before I buy another one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Even if you get the firewire to mount you'll have issues installing the PPC version from the intel Macbook, or vice versa.

You'd need to install it from another PPC mac.

Reaction score
I gotta go one level further. You will never be able to install Tiger for a MacBook on an iMac. Here's why:
1) The MacBook has an Intel processor, the iMac has a G3 processor. The software required is totally different.
2) Your Tiger installation DVD is OEM software and will only work on that Mac exact model.
3) It is a violation of your End User Agreement and is illegal. Earthquakes, plagues and a rain of frogs would happen if you actually succeeded. Be glad you can't do it!

OP
macaholic
Reaction score
oh wow, I had no idea the OS was different. I might see if I can get a panther installation. Regardless, I still can't get it to mount, is there a conflict between intel and ppc causing me not to be able to mount?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Regardless, I still can't get it to mount, is there a conflict between intel and ppc causing me not to be able to mount?

There shouldn't be. how are you trying to get it to mount?

OP
macaholic
Reaction score
I connect my two macs with a firewire cable. And turn on one while holding 'T'. It doesn't matter which one i put into TDM, they still won't mount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On either machine, go to the Finders Prefs and make sure the check boxes are all checked for mounted drives. Then try again.

OP
macaholic
Reaction score
On either machine, go to the Finders Prefs and make sure the check boxes are all checked for mounted drives. Then try again.

You mean where it says "Show mounted media on desktop"?
I don't see how that would solve anything, just because a hard drive isn't on the desktop, doesn't mean its not mounted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm assuming that even if it's mounting, your just not seeing it on the desktop. That shouldn't keep you from being able to do what you want, but then again weird stuff happens some times.

I'd say it may be the cable. Maybe it's time to try another.

Reaction score
I know this probably isn't going to solve anything but check the iMac has FireWire 2.3.3 or later as that is the requirements ... it's not gonna hurt to check ... also the computer will not go into FireWire target disk mode if "Open Firmware Password" has been enabled.

Reaction score
Did you follow these instructions: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

I did it with mine. I had an eMac (no DVD, just CD) and my ibook. My eMac is a G4 processor and so is my ibook. I don't know if that's where your problem is stemming from.
I had no problem. I bought Tiger retail and wanted to upgrade the eMac and it worked fine using the ibook as the host computer.

OP
macaholic
Reaction score
Spawn__Dooley;527703 said:
I know this probably isn't going to solve anything but check the iMac has FireWire 2.3.3 or later as that is the requirements ... it's not gonna hurt to check ... also the computer will not go into FireWire target disk mode if "Open Firmware Password" has been enabled.

I got the firewire update, It most likely is the cable, I'll try another one.
Yeah I didn't take into consideration that my Tiger dvd was for an Intel core.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.