RAM Question

Reaction score
Hi

I am going to purchase a Macbook 2.2ghz White 13" that comes with 1GB ram from the UK Apple Store.

At first I was going to upgrade this to 2GB.

However, I have been told that I can save a lot of money by adding RAM after purchasing outwith Apple.

I have found this

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/lis...l Core 2 Duo (13-inch White)&pl=Apple&cat=RAM

Can anyone recommend this and his anyone had any problems with it?

I am new to this so this may sound a silly question. If I buy the 2GB kit from that site, how do I go about installing it?

Also, the 1Gb is made up with 2 512mb slots. Upon recieving the 2GB kit do I simply replace these with 1GB in each place to make up the 2GB kit?

Are there any reliabiliy issues with doing it this way? Is there such thing as buying bad RAM? Can it break? And if so can I simply replace it with the old 512MB RAM from before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You are on the right path. Just replace the two 512MB sticks with 1GB ones and you will be on your way to a spiffy experience. The installation is very simple, just have to unscrew the RAM thing at the bottom of the macbook, slip and slide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.6 - iMac 20" for the wife
Hi

I just upgraded mine 3 days ago, went like a breeze. The only thing I had to do, is push the RAM in hard, as it wouldn't just slide in. However, after I pushed it, all is good, and I am burning rubber on every corner :)

Here is a video to get your started,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGIC6urwYQ8

Cheers, good luck (not that you need it though..)

Ben

Reaction score
One very important point .... please don't forget to remove the battery first ... I ruined a 128MB module in a G3 by failing to follow the recommended procedure ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:) I think we dont have to worry about him upgrading the memory before removing the battery. In fact, I think noone can do that, except David Copperfield.

Ben

Reaction score
:) I think we dont have to worry about him upgrading the memory before removing the battery. In fact, I think noone can do that, except David Copperfield.

Ben

true:D

to the thread opener: I think you can't go wrong with crucial...many mac owners seem to go with crucial and I mostly only read good things about their RAMs

Reaction score

Ben

Well that's my standard warning after I caused no end of trouble for myself by failing to remove the battery .... I see now that all Mac portables are not the same when it comes to accessing the RAM module/s. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spawn__Dooley;527043 said:
Well that's my standard warning after I caused no end of trouble for myself by failing to remove the battery .... I see now that all Mac portables are not the same when it comes to accessing the RAM module/s. ;D

Right, you need to remove the battery in order to get to the RAM.

Cheers

Ben

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.