MacBook Pro or 20" iMac? having a hard time deciding

Reaction score
Another PC outcast coming over to the "white side" here!

I'm trying to figure out what would be best a 15"/17" Macbook Pro or a 20" iMac? Portability is not a big necessity for me but it would be nice. I do a lot of downloading, Internet, casual at best game playing. Also once I get a digital camera I'll do a bunch of Photoshop and editing.

What's most important is:

-Hard drive space is paramount. But can always add on an external.
-Good graphics processor is important. (I might hook it up to my HDTV and do some PVR'ing)
-Price is not a big deal.

I've been looking at the Macbook Pro's more because it looks like they out perform the 20" iMac's according to specs, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
If price is not a big deal and a huge amount of portability is not needed all the time...

17" MBP!!!!

OP
Airborneforest
Reaction score
If price is not a big deal and a huge amount of portability is not needed all the time...

17" MBP!!!!

How you liking your MBP? Ever try and hook it up to your TV? So you would take your 17" MBP over and iMac anyday?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i love my 17 inch. occasionally i hook it up to my 50" plasma and play some games on that. its awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
How you liking your MBP? Ever try and hook it up to your TV? So you would take your 17" MBP over and iMac anyday?

Ive connected it to my 50" LCD a few times and it works great for movies and games and stuff...for photo or video editing, i still prefer the smaller screen.

Mines a 15" though...not a 17....but yes, id still take it over an iMac...the 20 inch one at least. I would love to get my hands on one of the 24 inch ones though!!

Reaction score
If your going to get serious about photos then go with the MBP and an external large screen, or the 24 iMac, the screen is considerably better than the 20 incher w/gradient issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
If you're only going to have one computer, then you might consider getting a 15" MBP and a nice external display. If you get one of the high quality non-Apple displays, you probably won't be paying any more than the 17" MBP. The reason I say to get a MacBook Pro (rather than the iMac) is the portability factor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.