Files are suddenly Password protected??

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm experiencing problems with files I have been using for quite a long time.
When I try to import a file into Quark, I am getting a message that the file "Cannot be imported because it has permissions set or is password protected"

These are files I have used many times before and this suddenly started occurring out of the blue on all the Macs on our network.

Any thoughts?

M

MacHeadCase

Mac OS X 10.3.x Panther was notorious for permissions issues.

Run Apple's Disk Utility -> Repair Disk Permissions on the Mac that displays this issue, se if that doesn't fix it.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck! :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, yes I tried that earlier today after a search on here. Didn't help any though. It's happening on four Macs running on a network. It started at the same time for all of them.

M

MacHeadCase

Is the problem on the same file? Who used the file last? Maybe it's the way it was saved and transferred over on the server that stores it? The owner (creator) of the file should verify the permissions on the Mac he/she created it and fix permissions via the Get Info window then put it up for grabs on the server.

OP
J
Reaction score
That's the strange part. We have a server holding thousands of files on it. Some of these files we have been using for years and just out of the blue, this happens. AND it's only some of them, not all. And they come from ALL different sources and people.

OP
J
Reaction score
ok I think we have isolated this problem to pdf files only. I have been able to import these pdf files into Quark without problems before. ANy reason you can think of for this sudden change?

M

MacHeadCase

How are these pdf files saved?

In which application were these pdf files saved?

Or did you update the app that was used to save these pdf files?

That's what I can come with at the moment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.