Signal strength

Reaction score
Is the signal strength from an Airport card installed in your Mac weaker than that from an Airport Extreme?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the signal strength from an Airport card installed in your Mac weaker than that from an Airport Extreme?

Are you talking about since Leopard or in general? I have only one Mac with the older Airport card. It's a Power Mac G4 Digital Audio. The signal since the Leopard upgrade does seem less. I took an Access Point and moved it around and only got 5 bars with it right in the same room as the PowerMac. I seem to remember it being better back in the Tiger days. All my other Macs have an Airport Extreme and it's just as strong as before with them if not stronger.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In general here they were always about the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.