Blank Bootcamp OS selection screen

Reaction score
I am a new iMac owner and am really enjoying Leopard on my 24" iMac. I used Bootcamp assistant to create a windows partition for xp. When I reboot holding the option key with an external usb hard drive and external usb dvd burner attached, a blank white screen is displayed. I disconnected all external non apple usb devices, installed xp and rebooted. I can boot either Leopard or XP as long as I do not reconnect the usb drives. If the hd or burner are connected, I see the Windows and OS X operating system choices but the computer freezes after clicking enter and neither system will boot. I have removed the bootcamp partition and the system will boot quickly into Leopard will all external firewire and usb devices attached. Any help will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
When you partitioned for Bootcamp, did you actually go into Windows and install all the drivers from the Leopard DVD?
After installing Windows, the job isn't done, so you'll get funny behaviour until you install the drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 24" 2.8 ghz
I had the same problem. Found that using the arrow keys and pressing return worked for me .Hope it works for you. Good luck.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes I installed the Leopard drivers. If I disconnect all external usb devices the dual boot menu scren is displayed. When an external usb hard drive and or external usb dvd burner is connected, a totally blank white screen is displayed and the computer hangs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 24" 2.8 ghz
Did you let Windows format the drive or boot camp? Windows has to format the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20 inch 2.0Ghz
Yes I installed the Leopard drivers. If I disconnect all external usb devices the dual boot menu scren is displayed. When an external usb hard drive and or external usb dvd burner is connected, a totally blank white screen is displayed and the computer hangs.

I have the exact same problem and now must disconnect my USB DVD Burner before I try and access Windows from Log In. What I did find is that having my Printer and External HD connected to my keyboard is OK and using 2nd and 3rd USB for Mouse and Keyboard poses no problem but if I try to use 1st USB Port it hangs just as you described. I have a 2 week old iMac 20" sytem running Leopard and Bootcamp.

Try different USB configs and let us know what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.