Recovering iLife after A&I to Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" C2D 2.4 2GB; BlackBook C2D 2.16 1GB
I have a slight problem. I installed Leopard yesterday and chose the archive and install option, specifically the one where the home folder, network settings, etc. were not moved over. Everything sits in the Previous System folder, including iWork, iLife and Office. I just reinstalled iWork and Office, but I have misplaced my iLife disk.

If I drag the individual icons (iMovie, iPhoto, etc.) from the Previous System folder to my new Leopard Applications folder, there is some sort of installation happening, but I have limited functionality (i.e. some features are missing that require a fresh install of iLife). Is there another way of doing this that might do the trick? I am really hoping to avoid a new purchase of iLife!

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Sigma said:
I have a slight problem. I installed Leopard yesterday and chose the archive and install option, specifically the one where the home folder, network settings, etc. were not moved over.

Why in the world did you do that? You completely defeated the purpose of an A&I.

AFAIK, you going to have to get a new full copy of iLife to get that functionallity back.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Why in the world did you do that? You completely defeated the purpose of an A&I.

AFAIK, you going to have to get a new full copy of iLife to get that functionallity back.

Agreed. Never do that.

Do you have your Install DVD's that came with your machine? You can install the iLife from those under optional installs I believe.

OP
Sigma
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well, I chose that option because I assumed I could just move the applications from the "Previous System" folder over to the new Leopard Applications folder.

Maybe I just don't understand, but if it is such a bad idea, why does Apple give it as an installation option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
You can't find your ilife cd because there isn't one. Put your OS install cd in your drive and chooce optionsal installs. ILife will be in there. This is of course assuming you are using the CDs that came with your Mac and you are trying to restore the same version of Ilife that came with your mac and not a newer version you purchased separatly.

Why do they give the option to install that way? They also give the option to erase and install. there are many options. Identifiing the one that is right for your particular situation is the challenge.

OP
Sigma
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should have mentioned that I am talking about iLife '08, which I bought separately with the Mac. Of course I could use the install DVD that holds Tiger, etc. to get iLife '06, but I am trying to get back iLife '08, which I just spent $100 on.

Sorry for the vague descriptions....I'm new to Macs. I appreciate all the responses.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I should have mentioned that I am talking about iLife '08, which I bought separately with the Mac. Of course I could use the install CD that holds Tiger, etc. to get iLife '06, but I am trying to get back iLife '08, which I just spent $100 on.

Sorry for the vague descriptions....I'm new to Macs. I appreciate all the responses.

I would just use your iLife 08 DVD and install it. That would be the best way since you have the media.

As far as documents or whatever else, you can drag those back from the folder that Archive and Install made, but I would recommend using the Install media to put iLife back.

When you get everything back where you want it and all is working properly, I would zap that folder that A&I made to save drive space.

OP
Sigma
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just reinstalled iWork and Office, but I have misplaced my iLife disk.

This is the problem. Moving the documents over is OK, I just have no program to open them :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I don't think there is anything you can do. Those discs are the key to everything.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the problem. Moving the documents over is OK, I just have no program to open them :)

I somehow missed that piece where you said that. Check your PM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.