The Administrator doesn't have enough privilage?

B

Bluewolf

I have an eMac which is my family's home computer I twisted their arms to get. However as the administrator I cannot access their account without actually logging in as them. However I often find that I leave my account logged on and I find that they save a lot of their documents on my profile.

In attempting to transfer them to their account I found that I was unable to do so. Any reason why? :confused:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The problem is that you don't have the permisson to write in their folders.

The easiest way to resolve this problem, is to move the files to a shared area. Then let them pick up their files from there.

OP
H

h0tk4rl

I'm guessing that if you did it from the terminal you could "sudo bash" for root access and then move anything you want.

OP
B

Bluewolf

h0tk4rl said:
I'm guessing that if you did it from the terminal you could "sudo bash" for root access and then move anything you want.

On behalf of all the switchers... huh? :eek:

OP
B

Bluewolf

rman said:
The problem is that you don't have the permisson to write in their folders.

The easiest way to resolve this problem, is to move the files to a shared area. Then let them pick up their files from there.

OP
H

h0tk4rl

Bluewolf said:
On behalf of all the switchers... huh? :eek:

I'm a recent switcher too. ;)
This just happens to be where OSX shows its true Linux colors.

In Applications > Utilities, find Terminal

Once you get a terminal window you need to gain root access. Typically you would use SU and enter root's password but I have yet to figure out *** that is! LOL by typing "sudo bash" you are gaining root access by using your own password. Normally root would have to give a user this kind of access but I guess that's taken care of for you. At that point you could move files "mv" or copy files "cp"

just be **** careful!

for help, type "man" and then the command name. ie. "man sudo"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
Its acutally Unix not linux.

OP
H

h0tk4rl

beret9987 said:
Its acutally Unix not linux.

TOE-MA-TOE, TOE-MAH-TOE :D

I was actually waiting for someone to call that out but I was too lazy to edit it. Anyway, if you know enough that there's a difference then sudo should be a snap for ya. ;)

OP
I

Icarus

and for those of us who don't have any clue what you just said, is there a real easy way to get into those other folders?

OP
H

h0tk4rl

Icarus said:
and for those of us who don't have any clue what you just said, is there a real easy way to get into those other folders?

I am assuming yes but I have no idea how to do it any other way yet.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There are three type of user accounts. The root user, admin user and the regular user. The admin user and the regular user are basically the same, except the admin account has a little more privilege.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Mac OSX isn't like windows, where the other user accounts are only hidden from view and logging in as System Admin can control everything including deleting personal documents. On the Mac the read, write and execute permission can be changed but often not, so other users have no access what so ever. :p

The whole idea of a secure multi user system is it's security. Other user's are not permitted to access other peoples home folders even if your the Admin, you still can't access their HOME folder.

You could try logout and try logging in as ROOT, but you'll need the Root password before you can login plus the Root User must be enabled in the Admin Account. Otherwise you just have to dump their files in the USERS > SHARED folder or the USERS > your username > PUBLIC

No other choice.

Like i share my PowerBook with my Girl Friend. To date, i have no idea what's on this HD, everything in her HOME folder has been encrypted. I just hate to think... what if I need to reinstall..... I realize now, what i should of done is change the permission in her home account so i could view, thus making a backup. But i didn't and I'm locked out forever!

OP
B

Bluewolf

hype.it said:
The whole idea of a secure multi user system is it's security. Other user's are not permitted to access other peoples home folders even if your the Admin, you still can't access their HOME folder.

You could try logout and try logging in as ROOT, but you'll need the Root password before you can login plus the Root User must be enabled in the Admin Account. Otherwise you just have to dump their files in the USERS > SHARED folder or the USERS > your username > PUBLIC

No other choice.

:) That does make sense as I remember I had to force my family to get a password. I was impressed that before you could use OSX you needed a password as standard.

I think leaving things in the 'public' folder will do.

As for the whole ROOT, Terminal access thing I will leave that well alone. I don't think many switchers whom have never used anything else other than windows should really have that kind of advice as the last thing a switcher wants to do is test out that Apple Care Plan, but thanks for the advice anyway.

OP
M

MoltenLava

Ok, here's the deal.

Admin users are exactly the same as normal users, except for one thing. They are "sudoers". i.e. You can execute sudo and then become root, or the "super user". Non admin users can't sudo and become root.

Without issueing sudo, admin users will have the same privilege as regular users. They won't be able to read files that they don't have permissions for.

Be VERY careful when you do sudo. There is a reason why admin users don't have super user power all the time. It's very dangerous. One typo and you can kiss your system good bye. "sudo bash" is especially a very bad advice. Don't do sudo bash unless you know exactly what you are doing.

What you want to do in this case is use the shared folder. You can use /users/shared or you can create another folder and give it 777 permission. (chmod 777 <folder name>).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Actually, you don't need the terminal to change the permission for a folder.
You can just press Apple+I for 'Get Info' and change the folder or file permission by using the drop down menus, in the Ownership & Permission section as shown.

attachment.php

Safer then using the terminal with sudo or sudo bash.

screenshot_01.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Very nice post Lava. Great follow up Hype.it :cool: Note that using sudo and issuing a command results in prompt for admin password, I think this is very tastefully set up in OS X :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you click the padlock, you'll be asked to confirm your Admin password too. At least in the GUI you know why it's asking for your Admin Password, because your trying to invoke something that the owner has control off and it wants proof.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.