Sata Controller Questions

Reaction score
im looking at buying a sata controller for my mac but heres my question, will any sata controller work? i can get sata controllers on ebay for 10 bucks after s&h but "mac" sata controllers cost PRETTY PINK COWBELL 60 bucks, for 60 bucks i can buy external sata enclusres but i dont want to do that because of the lack of desk space. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
The problem you have is DRIVERS if you buy an external USB to SATA box or USB to SATA dongle it is MOST LIKELY going to work because USB external drive drivers are standard now and this is what your setup would look like to the computer.

If however you bought a SATA interface ISA/PCI/PCI-E/cardbus etc then it would have to be a model that had specific drivers for the operating system you are running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I wanted a new drive and looked into this.

The only SATA cards I could find for the mac where a bit pricey (about $100)

In the end I went for an external USB drive, that gave me a fast drive without spending too much money

OP
S
Reaction score
actually i was lucky enough to get a sata controller for 12 bucks off ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
in that case you will have to go to the vendor site and look for any drivers

If there is no stated support for os x you are risking buying a SATA drive and it may or may not work

There is some info on SATA cards on www.xlr8yourmac.com (I think)

If the card doesn't work you can always resell it on Ebay and go for the external option

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.