Thinking of selling my mac...

Reaction score
I'm thinking of selling my imac 2.16 ghz intel core 2 duo, i gb memory, 20 inch screen. (anyone know the official tittle for this one?)

wondering if you guys could give me some guidance and advice (I have a list:D )

How would i go about transfering all my music and pictures if i was too buy a macbook?

How would i go about uninstalling everything and starting the computing from fresh too sell it. (refurb is it?)

Anyone care too guess how much i would get for it? All the info is above. it has bluetooth mouse and keyboard and is 10 months old. cost £1000 new.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
To transfer your music and pictures, connect your iMac to the new computer using a firewire cable, then reboot the old iMac using "target disk mode". The simplest way to do that is to simply hold down the "T" key while rebooting until the Firewire icon appears on the iMac's display. Once done, you can browse your iMac like an external drive. Just copy and paste to your liking.

An alternative to the above is to connect the two computers together as above, then when setting up the new Mac, just follow the instructions to import user data from another computer (your iMac). As long as your music and all is in your user folder, it should all get copied along with other user files and prefs.

To uninstall everything on the iMac to sell it fresh, just boot from the OS install DVD by holding down the "C" key while rebooting. Once done, run "Disk Utility" from the menu and format the drive, then run the installer to put the OS back on it. Just don't set up a user account when done.

As for what you can get for it... that all depends on the condition, but I'd hazard a guess of £800 or so. Check eBay for comparable units to see what the going rate is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can also use migration assistant in the Utilities folder to copy your home folder and settings to a new machine

OP
P
Reaction score
To transfer your music and pictures, connect your iMac to the new computer using a firewire cable, then reboot the old iMac using "target disk mode". The simplest way to do that is to simply hold down the "T" key while rebooting until the Firewire icon appears on the iMac's display. Once done, you can browse your iMac like an external drive. Just copy and paste to your liking.

An alternative to the above is to connect the two computers together as above, then when setting up the new Mac, just follow the instructions to import user data from another computer (your iMac). As long as your music and all is in your user folder, it should all get copied along with other user files and prefs.

To uninstall everything on the iMac to sell it fresh, just boot from the OS install DVD by holding down the "C" key while rebooting. Once done, run "Disk Utility" from the menu and format the drive, then run the installer to put the OS back on it. Just don't set up a user account when done.

As for what you can get for it... that all depends on the condition, but I'd hazard a guess of £800 or so. Check eBay for comparable units to see what the going rate is.

ok that all sounds a bit beyond me but i will give it my best shot haha. Thanks for the great advice.
As for the OS install dvd, i'm not certain i know where it is, they easy to get hold of?

OP
P
Reaction score
Also i'm thinking of getting a macbook, anyone know if any re-styles or upgrades are due? or even when a sale might be on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
look in the rumours section for a thread on the possible new macbook

but nit is all guesswork

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.