Single user, multiple macs

Reaction score
First, don't expect me to respond to anything tonight, I'm just posting this here before I forget (again). I have an iMac and a MacBook, and I was trying to figure out what to do when it comes to Leopard. So I explain that I have two macs that are mine and mine alone to a rep at the local Apple store. He checks with his supervisor, who then checks with the store manager, and the answer they come up with boils down to this:

"We're not 100% sure, but the Single User version of Leopard is for one user, not one machine. If you have the same user information (email, name, etc, stuff you enter when you first start up your mac for the first time) then you can install the single user pack on all your macs."

The rep even told me he was surprised that it was not machine-dependent. Before I go off and unintentionally do something illegal, can anyone confirm or deny what these Apple store guys weren't completely sure of? Thanks, I'll be back tomorrow. It's lat- ...er, early, here.

Reaction score
From the ordering page on the online Apple store:

"The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and
use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5)
Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located
in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By
"household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit
such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including
student members who are primary residents of that household but reside
at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to
business or commercial users."

So it seems that the Single user license is only for one Mac. I have read somewhere though, that you could also install the OS only onto your Portable but can't recall where I saw that ...

So there seems no confusion when you read that explanation. But I'm sure there is a gray area with this and a lot of different opinions. To me it does seem a little confusing ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.