where did my 9 gigs go?

Reaction score
Just upgraded from Panther to Leopard and those 8.8 required gigs are M.I.A. I anticipated that that amount of space was only needed for the upgrading process and would be open to storage after the process was completed. I'm guessing that the upgrade didn't delete old Panther files. Is this correct? What should I do? I'd like to keep things as simple as possible but would like my space back, its a commodity now-a-days on this little Powerbook G4.
Thanks
Brad

Reaction score
IIRC, that space is needed for the OS ... so you may be in trouble .. how much space do you have left?

I know there's stuff you can leave out when you upgrade which'll give you some leeway.

I can't answer your Q about the Panther files .. soz

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Leopard takes more room then Panther and even Tiger.

Reaction score
Don't some refer to it as "Bloat" sometimes? You would think that with the ever advancement of Technology that OS's would require less room but the opposite is true ... if you looked back to System 6, I'm sure it only occupied a few mere megabytes ....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Spawn__Dooley;525593 said:
Don't some refer to it as "Bloat" sometimes? You would think that with the ever advancement of Technology that OS's would require less room but the opposite is true ... if you looked back to System 6, I'm sure it only occupied a few mere megabytes ....

There are a lot of features in Leopard which were not in Tiger and I feel that is where some of the added footprint on the Hard Drive comes from. It's not that bad unless you are out of room, then any extra space taken up is not a good thing! :D

OP
W
Reaction score
Sure those new feature take up disk space...but 9 gigs worth in addition to the amount that the previous OS system took up...WOW. Maybe I'm just stuck in the mentality I had when I first bought this powerbook and thought that 80 gigs was going to last me for years. Is Leopard worth it? Hum second guessing that now. Maybe this is all part of the business model to get us to purchase and consume more. I'm sure that its no coincidence that the Apple store advertises a 500 gig harddrive on the same page as Leopard. Hum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm sure that its no coincidence that the Apple store advertises a 500 gig harddrive on the same page as Leopard. Hum

Actually, that's there for Time Machine ;)

Reaction score
Yeah, HD sizes are getting bigger too. Everything is ... the newish Mini Cooper is not very *mini* but I digress ... with technological advances, more hard drive space is needed too .. for instance I have an iMac with 250GB of HD space and I also have a digital TV USB stick which I use to record free to air shows onto my HD. Just the other day I noticed that I had more than 100GB of shows I'd taped which left me with less than 60GB left! External HDs seem to almost be "De Rigeur" now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I guess it really depends on the particular user. I only have a single 60GB pocket external drive that I use to transfer large files between various machines. But I have close to a terabyte of internal hard drive space in my PC. But then you have my brother, who has a 500GB external drive.

Hmm, seems as though I've proven your point in needing external drives... ;P

Reaction score
LOL, It's taken me a while but I'm really warming to the usefulness of an external.

At the moment my backup HD is a Seagate 80GB from my PC that to use I have to unplug a secondary IDE drive from the PC, then connect up this 80GB HD and via networking I just create .dmg of my Home Directory and drag it to the Network Finder window ... not perfect, but it'll do for now ...

I could always just by a $50 IDE to USB connector or a HD enclosure ...

Reaction score
Could your lost HD space be taken by the "old System folder" delete it , its probably a few gigs worth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.